Search the forum,

Discuss Anhydrite screed with UFH - Help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

creulworld

Hi,

I am after some advice on my recent project of self build house.

I have recently tiled my kitchen floor which was a anhydrite screed with wet type UFH fitted. The floor has been down for over 12 months or more now and fully dried out.

I have used the following for my floor after seeking advice and using Mapei technical.

10mm Porcelain tiles
Mapei Primer G to prime the floor firstly
Mapei Mapeker adhesive using 10mm half moon trowel applied to the floor only and not to tile back. All tiles were twisted when appling to ensure good bond. This was mixed with water and not Mapei latex plus.
Mapei Grout

The floor has been down for a couple of weeks now and UFH system on.
I have noticed the odd couple of very small cracks in the grout and after tapping tiles near these cracks I can hear that part of the tile is not bonded either to the floor or the adhesive.

I had hoped I had covered all bases with this and the floor looks great. However I fear that the problem could get worse and any advise would be helpful.

D

DHTiling

Hello and welcome..

What make of screed is it..?

Did you remove laitence..?

How did you prime.. method..?

Was the heating commissioned first .?

What was the process of turning the UFH on after tiling ..?

R

Richard Edwards

Interesting post and welcome to TF

I will await your ans to Dave's Questions and see what transpires

Thanks

R

Rich

Im afraid it will only get worse if it is not sorted. Dave has listed all the things we need to know before any advice can be given...

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sounds a bit like thermal shock to me, hope I'm wrong:yikes:

Sorry welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

creulworld

Hi guys thanks for the replies,
Further to Daves questions

What make of screed is it..?

Screed was Lafarge Agilia

Did you remove laitence..?

Not sure exactly what this means guys.

How did you prime.. method..?

Primed floor with Mapei Primer G via brush and left overnight to dry.

Was the heating commissioned first .?

Yes heating had been commissioned for 12 months or so and has been in use ok. Its just that I have got round to Tiling now.

What was the process of turning the UFH on after tiling ..?

UFH was used again approx 2 days after Tiling..

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to note also after an inspection tonight I think the Tile has come away possibly from the adhesive rather than the adhesive from the screed.

Also its not all tiles but say 5-10% I am not happy with.

D

DHTiling

The laitence is a milky residue left on the surface of the screeds and needs to be sanded off prior to tiling.

And you need more than 1 coat of primer..

When you turned the UFH on , did you do it in stages or just turn it on..?

C

creulworld

Any residue has been removed with general traffic in last 12 months, there was none visable.

I gave it 1 coat of primer and then again within a couple of hours.

The UFH was switched on as normal which runs at about 40 to 48 degreesC

D

DHTiling

The residue will not just walk off with foot traffic i'm afraid.

So you just turned the heating straight on to required temp..?

You are supposed to turn it on low and then increase in small increments so you do not shock the adhesive and cause a failure.

Reply to Anhydrite screed with UFH - Help please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen