Search the forum,

Discuss Anhydrite screed question in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Matthew77

Hi All

I have a couple of questions regarding tiling prep for Anhydrite screeds and was hoping someone here might be able to offer some advice?

A few months back i quoted for a floor tiling job for a wet underfloor heating system. The screed the builder decided to use was a gyvlon thermio+. I was sent some info regarding drying times, priming, adhesives and removal of surface laitance by the company that laid the screed.

The screed has been down a few months now so I went to the job today and started to sand the screed to remove the laitance. What i was expecting was to be sanding a fairly loose dusty film off the surface and when i started sanding it with my floor polisher and some 60grit carbon paper the laitance was coming off quite easily revealing the courser texture of the screed underneath, but this soon started to be really hard work and after a few hours it seemed like i was getting nowhere with it. So I went and hired a big floor sander and some 40grit sanding belts for it and spent the next few hours making lots of dust, but hardly starting the surface. :mad2:

So I guess my question is do I need to remove this surface layer of laitance if its not coming off when sanding? I have about 30m2 of screed to prep and today I think I've just about done 10m2. Also after doing a bit more research into removing laitance I've found a few sources saying that the laitance should be removed between 4 and 6 days after the screed is poured, this info was not mentioned in the documents the screed company gave me just said "Ensure that the surface ofthe screed is free from laitanceor surface skins and then priorto continuing, the surfaceshould be sound and dust free. The removal of loose material suchas laitance or dust is normally a straight forward procedure"

Any advice here would be handy thanks.

I'm also going to include a photo as that might help

IMG_4168.jpg

S

Stef

Hi, the longer the laitance is on the harder it is to remove as you have found out.
This must be removed before tiling, I take it the heating has been commissioned?
It has baked it onto the surface.

M

Matthew77

Hi Stef

Thanks for your reply. Yep your right about the heating was turned on last week, its been on for about a week now!

Any tips for removing it? The sander weighs a tonne so should be putting plenty of pressure onto the sanding belt and 40grit was the lowest grit they had?

Its literally not even touching it any more!!

S

Stef

I've used a belt sander before to remove the laitance & it removed it easily but the screed hadn't been down long.
Boys on the job I'm on the now used a carbinunbrum machine. Tried to google it but can't find any info on it.
No mess with it as it has an industrial vacume with it to extract all dust.

M

Matthew77

I thought the laitance was meant to be removed within the first 2 weeks?

This wasn't mentioned in the info given to me by the screeding company, just that you should remove the laitance. I also spoke to 2 different adhesive technical guys explaining it was my first job onto anhydrite asking for suitable materials and the process involved, they both failed to tell me this had to be done within 2 weeks.

M

Matthew77

I've used a belt sander before to remove the laitance & it removed it easily but the screed hadn't been down long.
Boys on the job I'm on the now used a carbinunbrum machine. Tried to google it but can't find any info on it.
No mess with it as it has an industrial vacume with it to extract all dust.

thanks might have to look into one of those. If I can find some info on it.

Reply to Anhydrite screed question in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen