Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Anhydrite Screed and tiling in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

St Andrew

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at putting down a anhydrite screed and then tiling on it and putting down somw timber flooring. the screed is made by Bardons and is called Highflow S; my question is what to put on top of this screed; I've been advised to use a primer and cementacous tile adhesive OR to use a acrylic tile adhesive, any advice would be grratefully received. PS the tiles are ceramic and 300mm square.

cheers,

Andy

S

St Andrew

Dave,

I tried to reply the other evening (still getting use to the system, it didn't post) there is a wet UFH system which is sat on a layer of kingspan insulation

cheers,

Andy

D

DHTiling

Ok..

Well this wet UFH will need to be commissioned before any tiling can commence.. this can start usually as early as 7 days from the pour...

Now this screed will need to be dry enough to tile before you tile it and by using the wet UFH you can force dry the screed..

Turn on the heating at ambient (approx 20 degrees C) after minimum 7 days. Leave at this temperature for 3 days. Then increase the temperature by maximum 5 degrees C per day up to a maximum of 55 degrees C. Leave at this temperature for 7 days then reduce by 5 degrees per day down to its normal operating temperature and leave at this temperature for as long as you like but normally for 3 or 4 days. Then switch off for three days before moisture testing to determine if it is dry. The effect of force drying with the heating must be accompanied by good ventilation i.e. plenty of draught from open windows and doors. Alternatively Dehumidifiers can be used but they need to be man enough for the job as heating the screed will drive ou moisture quite quickly. All temperatures are flow temperatures and not surface temperatures.
The bardon high flow screed is not a low laitance one and thus will need to be removed prior to tiling.. this can be done with either a scarifier or a floor sander.. The laitance is a friable surface that is left on the top as a result of the pour and levelling process from the screeders.. look as it as a creamy residue that dries as a crust on the surface and needs to be removed ..1: to allow the screed to dry quicker and fully and ...2 : to aid in the priming and adhesion of the adhesive.

The floor needs to be around 75% RH before you can tile with a cement based adhesive and 85% RH with a Gypsum based adhesive.. and a method of testing for the content of moisture is the use of a Hair-hygrometer.

S

St Andrew

Cheers Dave,

is there a need to put down a primer before the adhesive? I've read other post's on here and they seem to say there is a need for this. Also I was told yesterday by a supplier (on the phone) that I'd be better off using an anhydrite/gypsum based adhesive, but this is very expensive. thanks for taking the time to reply,

Andy

D

DHTiling

No probs Andy..

If using a cement based adhesive then yes a primer is required.. IMO the best to use is an epoxy primer.. this if applied properly will stop any reaction between the screed and the adhesive but in all honesty Andy.. You want a risk free installation and Webers Anhydrite-col adhesive isn't really expensive and will give you a risk free bond..

S

St Andrew

Dave,

where would I best off buying the Weber product from, any suggestions?

Cheers again,

Andy

D

DHTiling

Andy.. The only place i know so far that sells it is CTD.. and Westerhope tile centre.. up in the north east

Reply to Anhydrite Screed and tiling in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks