Search the forum,

Discuss Am I being a perfectionist? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Someone post a picture of how it should be done..
Got no images of mitred marble as such.
But got this :)

EDA68211-64EC-4305-8756-20EDF4C5141C.jpeg

No different to real thing tho.

U

Unused Account 1

No need for trims with marble,could go over with L shaped trim ,not the best but would tidy it up ,i did it once to help someone out ,whod had the same problem

M

MCS

Hi all, thanks for this. And thanks so much for the picture - that really highlights how bad mine are!

The guy who did them is coming back later today so I can show him what I’m not happy with. Knowing what I know now, I’m not massively confident he has the expertise to do it again...If there is anything specific you think I should be asking/pressing him on please let me know!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I reckon I could get a better finish using my teeth

M

MCS

How did he cut it? With a buckled grinder disk ?
He must know its not good enough. Please post his excuse on here.

Ok, so he has just been round. He kept saying the finish is just how it is with natural stone. I asked him if he’d worked with marble before and he said yes, but then said ‘a couple of times’ I asked what was used to cut it and he said this:
Rubi DU-200-L Wet Tile Cutter - 110v - https://www.buybrandtools.com/acatalog/rubi-du-200-l-bl-wet-tile-cutter-110v.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgMnYBRDRARIsANC2dfl6FmsNyKhjKf06DE9FGUJUQh6FPUGsvhd9S6UuBqJJ1xqlKlXol3caApyNEALw_wcB Which does say it can be used for marble, so I don’t understand what’s happened. I was very clear with him that I wasn’t happy with it and that it is possible to get a better finish.

Later on in the conversation he said he hadn’t been expecting me to choose marble tiles. I told him as soon as he realised there was an issue, ie the first time there was a jagged cut, he should have talked to me about it. If it was the fault of the tiles (which I doubt) I don’t understand why he wouldn’t raise it with me and check I was happy to carry on with a substandard finish. He said something about fixing it with grout/the trim, so clearly he thought it could be hidden. I had originally said I didn’t know if I wanted a trim and that I wanted to see it without first to decide but he just put the trim on and said it would look better, and I thought he knew what he was doing and accepted it.

He didn’t seem to know what to do to resolve it and kept saying “it’s like this on all the corners/everywhere...that is a lot of tile”...yes, that is why I can’t just live with it! I have said I will get some other people to come round and look at it and give an opinion (there are a couple of other non-tile related issues too...). I am going to get some quotes to have it fixed whcih I worry is going to involve starting it all again from scratch.

Sorry for the long post!!

O

Old Mod

Thanks for letting us know how it went.

There’s no reason why that machine wouldn’t cut marble, if used correctly with a blade in reasonable condition.
Did he actually have any water in it! (Rhetorical)
To avoid removing all the external edge tiles you could possibly find someone local who is capable of making a marble trim if you will.
For example, cut 25mm back from leading edge of tile full length, both sides of the corner.
Then you could get a piece of marble and effectively router the back out to form a 90 degree edge piece which can be stuck to the corner in place of what was cut away, leaving a bullnosed corner.
Any half decent marble supplier should be able to fabricate an edge trim like that.
Problem would be matching the stone.
Or have a retro fit metal trim that covered the leading edge of the stone both ways.
Or try to remove existing trim then straighten the edges then maybe replace trim but you’d have to suffere a larger joint at the transition, but it couldn’t look worse.

M

MCS

Thanks for letting us know how it went.

There’s no reason why that machine wouldn’t cut marble, if used correctly with a blade in reasonable condition.
Did he actually have any water in it! (Rhetorical)
To avoid removing all the external edge tiles you could possibly find someone local who is capable of making a marble trim if you will.
For example, cut 25mm back from leading edge of tile full length, both sides of the corner.
Then you could get a piece of marble and effectively router the back out to form a 90 degree edge piece which can be stuck to the corner in place of what was cut away, leaving a bullnosed corner.
Any half decent marble supplier should be able to fabricate an edge trim like that.
Problem would be matching the stone.
Or have a retro fit metal trim that covered the leading edge of the stone both ways.
Or try to remove existing trim then straighten the edges then maybe replace trim but you’d have to suffere a larger joint at the transition, but it couldn’t look worse.

Thank you so much for these suggestions. I am now going to get a few quotes people to look at it, and will get an idea of prices those options as well as the nuclear option of start again (which might end up needing to happen because of a couple of other problems :-/).

What a nightmare! Really can’t understand why he didn’t just saw he wasn’t experienced with marble. Or how he thought I wouldn’t notice!!

O

Old Mod

Unfortunately a lot of clients will accept what they’re given and it’s only when it fails do they realise what kind of service they should of had.
But every now and then, these guys get caught out.

Reply to Am I being a perfectionist? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen