Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please on finishing Travertine Tile edges in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dmk

Hi

This is my first post so I hope people bear with me and that somebody can help on this. I have searched the site and have found some useful information, but I can’t find the exact information I need.

We are currently having 2 bathrooms redone by a local builder using 600 x 400 x 12mm filled and honed travertine tiles on the walls and floors. The builder’s tiler is planning to butt joint the tiles on an existing wall external corner, around the window reveal and also on the bath edge (we are having the bath inset into a large tiled box frame). He will then seal them, grout and then seal them again, but without finishing the edges any further.

My worry is that as some of these external angles will have both a mixture of factory machined edges and some a cut edges, by just butt jointing them, it will give an uneven finish and will spoil the overall effect of the travertine tiling. My wife is more worried that the edges could be sharp, especially the bath edge, with small children.

When I raised this issue with the builder the tiler has said that this is the normal method he uses and they will look fine after grouting, but after reading some of the topics on this site, my understanding is that these edges can be sanded or filed into a bullnose shape to give a better finish and effect. I have mentioned this to the tiler and he say’s he has never heard of this and that it can’t be done as the tiles are not solid, but honeycombed, so by doing this you would get voids and thus a poor finished edge.

Could somebody please give me some advise on this before I raise the issue again with the builder ?

Can and should these tiles edges can be sanded, and if they can, would somebody be kind enough to post some simple step by step instructions on how the tiler can do this and also how we can match the colour and texture of the sanded edge to that of the existing tile face, do we need to buy and use a colour impregnator ?

Many thanks

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
after what ive just read i would be reluctant to let that tiler any were near my bathroom but fixing is a no no.the edges of the tiles want bull nosing,and polishing.you also need to check for weight issues for the walls, what is the finish of the walls, there are some amazing natural stone tilers on here i think you would be well advised to use a tiler from here , just my opinion :thumbsup:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Yes they can be bullnosed, by hand or machine, any pockets ( honeycombs) you hit can be filled whilst grouting, sounds like he doesn't want the extra work involved, insist on it or tell the builder you want to find your own fixer, as mentioned above, plenty of great fixers on this forum. Where are you in the country ?

EDIT: here's a link to a few threads that go into bull nosing.

LINK

Last edited:
D

dmk

Yes they can be bullnosed, by hand or machine, any pockets ( honeycombs) you hit can be filled whilst grouting, sounds like he doesn't want the extra work involved, insist on it or tell the builder you want to find your own fixer, as mentioned above, plenty of great fixers on this forum. Where are you in the country ?

EDIT: here's a link to a few threads that go into bull nosing.

LINK
Hi Alan

Thanks for the quick response and links. As these tiles are a smooth honed finish, if the edges were bullnosed by hand using one of these rubbing blocks, what should be used after this to polishing / treat the edges to match the existing tile face finish ?

D

david campbell

even using a chrome square edged trim would look better than leaving them butt-jointed:thumbsup:

D

dmk

:hurray:Many thanks for all you help and links, it has really helped us with our problem.

I spoke to the builder yesterday and told him that he needs to ensure that all the external angle tiling is done using the eased corner joint (as kindly detailed by Wetdec).

It seems that his tiler has 'suddenly remembered' how to do this today !
So as one of you suggested, perhaps his tiler just didn't want to spend the extra time doing it !

Could we also ask one more question please, so we can check that it is all being done correctly ?

Can somebody perhaps just tell me how the tiler matches the finish on the eased corner joint to the existing tile face, is this done by polishing the tile edge in some way, or using a colour intensifier perhaps to restore it ?

Many Thanks !

W

wetdec

Hi, thats not going to happen you will get a gentle blend not a match. Number of factors for this, working oposite grain, with a fine edge, no original fillers, quality of stone.

Stone is natural does exactly what it wants, I'm sure your fixer will do his best with what he has........:thumbsup:

Reply to Advice please on finishing Travertine Tile edges in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen