Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please - natural sandstone - indoors on anhydrite screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
jonnyc

Many thanks for your very detailed and helpful replies, especially for making the time to help me (and when the forum times out too).
I like your website btw.

Frances

J

jonnyc

Frances
you can do this all by yourself .
i can help you achieve this . Great little project .
you don't need fancy dans who say you can't do it.
your biggest problem will be keeping the stone clean as you fix.
sandstone is a sucker for moisture and and a killer for staining stone.
if you take this job on and complete you will and should be a very proud tiler which is what you will be

J

jonnyc

jonnyc

Many thanks for your very detailed and helpful replies, especially for making the time to help me (and when the forum times out too).
I like your website btw.

Frances
Frances I have done many circular features some of which may be on my website .
but I can say that I genuinely did not have a clue about how I was going to approach the project till I saw it.
get yourself a stick and some Masonary nails and live this .ii think you will enjoy it

J

jonnyc

frances ,
i am frustrated that i spent along time yesterday explaining about how to reduce the joint widths of your stone but i got timed out.
i know what you want to do and you can get close to what you want but it will involve a bit of extra cutting and setting out which you have to do anyway.
you can achieve this but you will need a reasonable angle grinder and blade tomsuite.
tbh it will be much quicker if you call me and i explain .
its all about maths really/ drawing circles and adjusting .
i am not a qualified tiler but i have done a few features and happy to share how i got to result i did

Reaction score
jonnyc,

I'm sorry that you lost your the written explanation; it would have helped others reading the thread as well as me. Thank you for offering to talk through the setting out to reduce joint widths. At present I am getting quotes for all the materials. Once I have the sandstone on site and laid out, I will take you up on your offer if I can't work it out. The angle grinder is not a problem.

Thanks again,
Frances

J

jonnyc

frances .
phone me tomorrow as i am in office for first time long time and i will tell you how to do this job.
you can do this all by yourself if you are so inclined and post your pics on this website and show us how you got on
you will really enjoy it.

M

Mark S

from a screed manufacturers point of view we would recommend using a de-coupling mat with natural stone, porcelain and travertine, this is due to different thermal properties.
there are obviously a number of different manufacturers of mat out there, but we should brfore long have our own approved mat to go with our Tekcem Gyp Tek adhesive.

Reply to Advice please - natural sandstone - indoors on anhydrite screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen