Discuss Advice please lovely tilers in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of a PITA bathroom (may do a full post when I'm done) but at least the end is finally in sight.

The main field tiles are these:

IMG_0055.JPG

Because of the riven nature being a pain to keep clean the wet area is the
smooth version:

IMG_0057.JPG

I've set out so the shower glass profile will be drilled into the vertical grout joint so as to hide the transition from riven to smooth.

The other wet wall is looking like this:

IMG_0058.JPG

My question is 'What would look better above the door - smooth or riven? '

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
On the little wall I've taken the smooth all the way to the architrave (a little beyond the glass) to avoid slithers and match the cuts I've planned for the window wall. With that in mind would you still go riven?

W

WetSaw

On the little wall I've taken the smooth all the way to the architrave (a little beyond the glass) to avoid slithers and match the cuts I've planned for the window wall. With that in mind would you still go riven?

Yes.

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Riven is my opinion , i would have removed that paint sealed and tanked the wet Area walls but each to their own I guess . kop

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The lady of the house doesn’t care. The hubby isn’t that bothered but if he had to choose he’d sway towards smooth and I think it should be riven. But now impish has made me doubt myself (him being a trusted advisor and all that!)

Last edited:
O

One Day

My first reaction seeing the picture and I usually trust my first thought on aesthetics.
Think about things like this too long and I end up confusing myself!

W

Waluigi

Most shower screens are under 2 metres and assuming that the ceiling height is at least 2.4M, you’ll see the transition between riven and smooth above the shower screen on the left hand wall, so the right hand wall should be the same. The small amount of smooth tile against the architrave won’t even be noticeable.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If the wall tiles are smooth next to them, then smooth, or am I missing something.
Why have you not tanked the patches , that’s a failure going to happen right there,water will penetrate them areas, tiles will fall off and the world will end.
:(;)

Reply to Advice please lovely tilers in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks