Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please - how to fix uneven grouting in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
As the tiles are all the same you would expect the grouting to be fairly even. Tiles are allowed to vary slightly in size from each other which can give a slightly uneven grout width, but the tiler normally picks this up if there is any noticeable variation and advises on a slightly wider joint width. I assume your tiler did not do this. The grout should all be finished to a point level with the top of the joint gap (note some tiles have a cushioned edge, the grout should finish at the top of the joint gap, not the top of the cushion edge).
From the picture you sent the grouting joint appears to vary excessively and the surface of the grout appears to be higher than it should be in areas.
Cracked grout is often caused by movement, however your comment that the tiler applied a second cost makes me wonder if the grout has failed to adhere to the old grout layer. Did he apply a very wet second coat of grout? Which grout was used?

Dom

TF
Reaction score
As the tiles are all the same you would expect the grouting to be fairly even. Tiles are allowed to vary slightly in size from each other which can give a slightly uneven grout width, but the tiler normally picks this up if there is any noticeable variation and advises on a slightly wider joint width. I assume your tiler did not do this. The grout should all be finished to a point level with the top of the joint gap (note some tiles have a cushioned edge, the grout should finish at the top of the joint gap, not the top of the cushion edge).
From the picture you sent the grouting joint appears to vary excessively and the surface of the grout appears to be higher than it should be in areas.
Cracked grout is often caused by movement, however your comment that the tiler applied a second cost makes me wonder if the grout has failed to adhere to the old grout layer. Did he apply a very wet second coat of grout? Which grout was used?

Thank you so much for all the detailed information.

The second layer of grout was applied 3 days after the first layer. Unfortunately I don’t know if the second coat of grout was very wet. The grout was Mapei Ultracolour plus.

“From the picture you sent the grouting joint appears to vary excessively and the surface of the grout appears to be higher than it should be in areas.”

It’s exactly as you described.

Any advice what could be done to rectify these? Would it be reasonable to ask the tiler to remove the grout and regrout? Or best to ask him to remove the tiles and reposition first?

Dom

TF
Reaction score
Could you send pictures of the overall job? You also need to double check the hollow sounds you reported earlier.

Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of the overall job as they have covered the floor with a foam sheet and put lots of tools and working benches for cutting wood etc...

I’ll get a picture as soon as they clear out.

T

Time's Ran Out

17DDBFDA-9940-44ED-9BA3-DF75BFB35DBF.png
In this picture it looks like a wavy edge tile and I would have used a wider joint.
820F7A6B-D837-47F1-ADA0-410B5F5AD727.png
In this picture the tile has movement around both sides of the corner and I’d assume a loose tile.
FFB0AA74-3B16-4292-AFE9-6CA546286AA8.png
The grout is loose - if he added another layer of grout 3 days later I’d be of the opinion it’s all loose and he’s tried to hide it by regrouting again.

Get the tiles up where the grout is cracked and see how well they are/are not fixed. It’ll be worth a little investigation now rather than 3 weeks down the line when he’s been paid and disconnected his phone.

Dom

TF
Reaction score
View attachment 106447
In this picture it looks like a wavy edge tile and I would have used a wider joint.
View attachment 106448
In this picture the tile has movement around both sides of the corner and I’d assume a loose tile.
View attachment 106446
The grout is loose - if he added another layer of grout 3 days later I’d be of the opinion it’s all loose and he’s tried to hide it by regrouting again.

Get the tiles up where the grout is cracked and see how well they are/are not fixed. It’ll be worth a little investigation now rather than 3 weeks down the line when he’s been paid and disconnected his phone.

Thank you so much for your response.

I think the loose grout is actually the second coat of grout which hasn’t stuck to the bottom grout.

I’ll ask for all the tiles where the grout is cracked to be taken up.

As for the first picture, I think it’s the cleaning of the grout that’s a bit messy, and the tile being laid at uneven height didn’t help.

Thank you so much for the advise. I just didn’t know if I was being too picky asking the tiler to take up some of the tiles.

Reply to Advice please - how to fix uneven grouting in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen