Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please for 'wetroom' tiles with inadequate fall for water. in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

I hate to say it but if I visited a customer with this issue, I would only be recommending taking it all up and starting all over again. Your screed is basically acting as a massive sponge and soaking up all of the water which will lead to other problems in the future.

S

shopkeeper

I hate to say it but if I visited a customer with this issue, I would only be recommending taking it all up and starting all over again. Your screed is basically acting as a massive sponge and soaking up all of the water which will lead to other problems in the future.

Thanks for your reply. Do you not think the grout and silicone would be effective in itself in preventing the water from getting to the screed?

R

Rookery

I've been in this position before and recommended the same thing. Once, when the falls were non-existent, the shower water was running away from the drain, through the door and into the customers bedroom. The original fitters solution was to fix a strip of timber across the doorway effectively building a dam. Yes honestly, I kid you not.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You could remove the screen and remove tiles in wet area. Build, say a 75x75mm step underneath where the screen is from wall to wall so that will contain the water and tile that. New falls TOWARDS the drain can be created inside that rectangle. It can then be tanked on the floor and tiled. Lastly fix the screen back in position on top of the step. The only downside would be the step over as a potential trip hazard, but I think that has to be the compromise.

F

Flintstone

I have seen a handful of wet rooms where I’ve been asked to tile them with a home made fall made up of the screed and not one have been any good. All of them I had them chop up and fit a propper wetroom former!

S

shopkeeper

I have seen a handful of wet rooms where I’ve been asked to tile them with a home made fall made up of the screed and not one have been any good. All of them I had them chop up and fit a propper wetroom former!

I wasn't aware of what a wetroom former was at the time. In hindsight, I wish I had done my own research into what was involved.

Could people please advice how much slope would be required from the back wall to the drain, a distance of about 156 cm, as I have drawn in the diagram below, for a good drain of water?

The builders have said they will come tomorrow to try and fix the problem, but i'm not holding my breath..

tilepatternplannew7729e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shopkeeper

I wasn't aware of what a wetroom former was at the time. In hindsight, I wish I had done my own research into what was involved.

Actually, having just looked into it, it seems like I did order a former but returned it because the builders had already layed the screed and said it would be ALOT of work to cut into the concrete to use it.

Reply to Advice please for 'wetroom' tiles with inadequate fall for water. in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen