Discuss Advice on work done please in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all

I was hoping to get your opinions / thoughts on some work done in the kitchen by the builders at my parents.

The main thing I'm scratching my head about is the tiling when it meets the kitchen cabinets. The builders have left gaps un-tiled under the cabinets and cookerhood and I think have just painted these gappy bits. It's not normal to leave gaps around cabinets, right?

The plastic trim also looks like it's only been used some of the time, so sometimes you go straight from tile to painted wall without the trim to cover it up at all. I guess this isn't normal either because they should have either put trim on all the transitions (or even none at all)?

Final bit, which might not be 100% a tiling question, but are these cabinets missing pelmets? The bottom of the cabinets look really weird and hollow and I can't remember what the old kitchen looked like now 😂

Thanks for taking the time!

Attachments

• Tiling_1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Tiling_2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 44
  • Tiling_3.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 43
  • Tiling_4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 45
Reaction score
No that’s fine, as far as I can see you’ve got trim on external corner where tile meets tile and no trims where tile meets wall. What’s wrong with that? (In my opinion wall/tile transition is usually nearer with no trim)
As for tiling right up to cabinets, depends what was agreed - here the extra slither would look worse than nothing.
I think the job looks ok from what you have shown.
Did you buy pelmet? If so it should have been fitted. But often cornice and pelmet are omitted to keep costs down on a budget job.

Paulg83

TF
Reaction score
Not a good job at all, with a gap like that under the units the tile should finish up to the underside of the cabinet, poor and lazy setting out I'm afraid. Hopefully they didn't charge you much for it.

Reply to Advice on work done please in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks