Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on Re-tiling New Build Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chrisab

Hi all,

I want to re-do my bathroom which was a new build about 20 years ago. A bathroom fitter came around to quote and stated that because the walls are new build (stud wall) they will have a very thin plaster coating and what with water damage etc etc. it might be a big job. Is this really going to be a problem? I want to do this work myself, surely if the walls are that bad I can just put up some new board?

Are there any basic guides on doing a bathroom on this forum, i.e. include information of which backing to use, which sealants where etc? For example I've been reading about tanking, would the tiled area above a bath shower be required to all be sealed etc. OR do you just tile on top of water based plater board etc.?

Any advice much appreciated!

Also, if I were to tile the floor which is currently lino and 10mm below the caprpet outside presumably after boarding with ply, then I're read another board is needed, then the tiles - how to you then cover up a 10-15mm step into bathroom?

Many thanks

C

chrisab

Whitebeam - yes one whole wall and above all aroudn the bath will need to be rid of its existing tiles.

I accept removing the tiles will cause damage but the guy who did th quote was suggesing it would be worse because it was a new build etc etc. What do these new builds normally have - just a plaster board? If the board is damaged but not too badly what would you use to skim it over? Presumably skimming with plaster will mean a long drying out period before re-tiling?

Sorry for all the Qu's, it owul dbe easier to get someone to do it but I like 'projects', and saving money!

Reply to Advice on Re-tiling New Build Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.