Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on Re-tiling New Build Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chrisab

Hi all,

I want to re-do my bathroom which was a new build about 20 years ago. A bathroom fitter came around to quote and stated that because the walls are new build (stud wall) they will have a very thin plaster coating and what with water damage etc etc. it might be a big job. Is this really going to be a problem? I want to do this work myself, surely if the walls are that bad I can just put up some new board?

Are there any basic guides on doing a bathroom on this forum, i.e. include information of which backing to use, which sealants where etc? For example I've been reading about tanking, would the tiled area above a bath shower be required to all be sealed etc. OR do you just tile on top of water based plater board etc.?

Any advice much appreciated!

Also, if I were to tile the floor which is currently lino and 10mm below the caprpet outside presumably after boarding with ply, then I're read another board is needed, then the tiles - how to you then cover up a 10-15mm step into bathroom?

Many thanks

C

chrisab

Hi, Well the plan was to do as much of it as I can, I may get in help to do the actual tiling. I just wondered if what the guy said was true, and if it was true what sort of job I'm leading myself into!

Thanks

W

White Room

Hi and welcome..are you removing any existing tiles which may damage the walls...

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
yes if you remove plasterwork and plasterboard substrates then re doing a bathroom is a big enough job imo especially for someone who doesnt do it day in day out

however there are a few on the forums who have managed to do full refits to a standard they are happy with,,the advice is here if you need it.

C

chrisab

Whitebeam - yes one whole wall and above all aroudn the bath will need to be rid of its existing tiles.

I accept removing the tiles will cause damage but the guy who did th quote was suggesing it would be worse because it was a new build etc etc. What do these new builds normally have - just a plaster board? If the board is damaged but not too badly what would you use to skim it over? Presumably skimming with plaster will mean a long drying out period before re-tiling?

Sorry for all the Qu's, it owul dbe easier to get someone to do it but I like 'projects', and saving money!

W

White Room

If it was tiled when it was built there's good chance it will tubbed adhesive...new builds may have dry linning even for 20 years ago, if it has been skimmed theres a good chance the plaster will come off which could avoid any damage to the plasterboard.

C

chrisab

It's definately stud wall, would you expect the tiles to be straight onto plaster board? Or onto a skim over the plasterboard? Would the area over the bath been tanked if the bath was fitted with a mixer tap/shower hose?

If they are straight onto just plasterboard what would you use to make right the boards? Presuming they wern't completely knackared!

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi chris tiles direct onto plaster board or skimmed plasterboard ......remove the tiles...possibly the plastboard etc will be okay but normally it gets ripped to bits

i always just rip the lot out in whole sheets for quickness
plasterboard is cheap to replace

Reply to Advice on Re-tiling New Build Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen