Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Advice on correct preperation for asphalt floor, (Pics Included) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Makken

Hi, we are wanting to ceramic tile our kitchen floor, i took all the old vinyl tiles up and was left with what you see, quite a thin layer of asphelt/bitumen and it appears to be dry (not tacky or sticky or anything) sitting on a 50-70mm sandy floor screed (i don't want to try and remove the asphelt as its a pain in the arse), i was wondering what the best course of action would be for this floor, 'PVA it then use a flexible floor adhesive maybe', the missus bought normal tile adhesive but i don't think this will be any good. I've looked at other threads with varied opinions and am still a little confused, i was just wondering what the general concensus is for this type of problem and any recommendations on using a good primer/adhesive that will work, any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Floor 1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Floor 2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Floor 3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 176
D

Deleted member 9966

Makken

I have a similar covering all through the ground floor of my house. DO NOT PVA. Go to a tile shop and ask them for a suitable primer for your adhesive.

I have tiled both my kitchen floor and utility/wc using regular non-flexible tile adhesive and have had no problems.

GRR

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
That's a very thin layer. Looks like the bitumen was used as a glue for sticking the vinyl tiles down. What's the condition of it? Flakey? Dry? wet? etc.

J

johnryan

i used this; ARDEX P 82 Water Dispersed Epoxy Primer in a similar situation, and as long as the bitumen isn't flaky or crumbling it should be fine. not cheap though, do you have much to do? here's the data sheet for it so you can check it out;
broken link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Makken

It appears to be dry, no tackiness or stickiness anywhere and yes it was probably used as a glue just to stick the old vinyl tiles as it is quite thin, its not flakey just patchy where some lifted with the old tiles

G

Gazzer

Or mix a SBR primer with SPF adhesive and paint on. Wait for it to dry then tile.

M

Makken

Its dry (no tackiness or stickiness anywhere) does'nt appear to be flaking, only patchy from where bits lifted with the old tiles, very thin so was more than likely just an adhesive for the tiles.

Do i need flexi adhesive like mapei or something or can i still use the normal adhesive the missus bought?.

The ARDEX P 82 is very expensive, don't think i'll be able to spend that much, looking for something reasonably priced as a good primer to put on the asphelt or just an adhesive that will equally do the job, any more suggestions.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As Sir Ramic for me, a slurry bond coat first to stabilize the ATA (asphalt tile adesive) I would use Mapei Keraquick but that is just me.

M

Makken

Ardex arditex NA for for me. Thin coat so 20kg bag and 5 ltr liquid would go far (10/15m2).

Is that a 'levelling compound', just pour it over the existing floor and bobs your sisters mates boyfriend :lol:, will it stick on the asphelt!.

S

SteveyJ

Is that a 'levelling compound', just pour it over the existing floor and bobs your sisters mates boyfriend :lol:, will it stick on the asphelt!.

Yes it can as I think its cause its latex based, a water based levelling compound - no you cant. Wouldn't of thought you'd do 10 to 15 sqm with 1 bag though!!!! You need 3mm thickness to get it to level out, but guess if you apply a feather coat over an existing level floor and levelling isnt an issue then will go further but cant see 10sqm worth???

Toffolo

TF
Reaction score
don't think he wants to level the floor just wants to give it a thin coat so it is suitable to recieve a cement based adhesive. Don't think there would be much point putting 3mm in depth so in that case you should get 8+m2 out of a bag and one bottle. Maybe I overdid it a bit with the 10/15m2 comment.

Reply to Advice on correct preperation for asphalt floor, (Pics Included) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks