Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on best tiling course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnboy1

I have been working as a painter and decorator for the past 5 years but i have always been very interested in tiling. I was just woundering if it is possible to learn how to tile to a good standard in 10 days as you see on theses fast track training courses. I want to be confident enough to take on tiling jobs as well as my painting jobs. I am quick at picking things up but I am a bit iffy about doing a 2 week course. Any advice would be welcome

Thanks
John

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
They can teach you quite a bit but clearly the practise is what you'd be missing. Most let you call them up afterwards and ask more advice should you get a bit stuck. They'll show you how to tile most areas. Normally you'll find a more advanced stone course will be separate if you fancy doing a bit of stone work.

Long term you could do with perhaps getting a NVQ/SVQ. But a short course will certainly give you a good taste of tiling and show you the right tools and products to use etc.

There are some decent threads/discussions on courses in the tiling courses forum. Go check those out.

It's always worth going to check 2 or 3 training centres before booking on any so you can see what they're like etc. And don't always just go for the closest one because it's close. Sometimes it's well worth traveling to go to a decent one instead.

P

paul damian

Welcome john, if tiling is what you want to learn then a course is the first step , but it will only teach you the basics , there is soooooo! much to learn, stick around on here and you will learn so much more.

J

johnboy1

cheers paul. I c you r from donegal, do u know of any tiling courses in Ireland? I am from the North

P

paul damian

hi john dont know any tiling courses in the north, can only tell you the one i went too, westlink tile training in mohill co, leitrim, family run by jim manning voted best tile training in ireland for the last three years, probably worth a look at with your sterling rate. Jim can sort you out john with b&b and it is not far from the training centre. Can not speak highly enough about jim ,we have kept in touch with each other and he is always on the phone to help you out.Ring jim on this no. 00353872030675 and tell him i gave you his number paul southwell.Hope this helps mate. Any further help just PM me.

S

swanman

The best thing you can do is ask a tiler if you can go on a couple of jobs to help out and if you say that you dont want paying that goes down very well

You can learn alot ,thats what i did and that has served me well

J

johnsontiler

There are so many videos online, you can learn by watching them and off course you have to go with any experienced tiler to see the tiling directly, the best!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A biggy with going on a course though is the fact you get all the materials you want right there included in the course, and you can make as many mistakes as you want on a course. On the job it's more sort of shadowing. Although I agree it's one of the best ways to train to be fair, on the job, real experience.

I wouldn't watch even a thousand videos and then contact a tiler and say 'hi I've watched a thousand videos about tiling, can I come work with you for a bit though to get some experience' as I'd get laughed at I'm sure. Best to just watch some as and when you have questions about specific issues as they can be good (though sometimes misleading) for that.

Reply to Advice on best tiling course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen