Search the forum,

Discuss advice for chipboard wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gizmo

hi, just been to look at a job and the guy wanted me to tile on tiles but had a good check of the tiles that were on and some were loose and they very easy to pull off with my hand, i noticed behind the tiles that the walls were chipboard, so i told the guy they all need to come off and start from scratch as it wont be safe which he wasn't to happy about but agreed in the end,
Just wondered if any of you guys had any advice for the chipboard wall, shall i re-board it or is there a primer that will do the trick as the customer is moaning to keep the cost down, the tiles he wants fitted are 40x25 satin ceramic floor to ceiling, thanks

B

brian c

rip it off and put plasterboard up..chipboard on walls...first i have heard of that.

G

gizmo

rip it off and put plasterboard up..chipboard on walls...first i have heard of that.
thats what i thought when i saw it, couldn't believe my eyes, top floor loft conversion done on the cheap by the looks of it, was thinking of plasterboard but needed a second opinion, cheers

D

doug boardley

I've heard of chipboard walls being tiled onto Gizmo, but only 'cos it's always failed. Rip it all out and start from scratch. If customer's not happy about this, walk away with your reputation intact!

G

graham31

I'm finding that when i'm doing est and you tell the customer whats needed they're not
to happy.Always looking for the cheapest way which isn't the right way.
Went to do a quote told the guy bits need plastering(he'd tried it himself big mess)big humps
behind the sink needed leveling,told him i'd do prep work.Left without the job with him saying i've got your number.So i suspect he'll just keep going till he'll get someone in to do it the way it is.

Oh and he had all the best of addy Bal so again i suspect he was gony try it himself and got cold
feet.

Sorry for hijacking your post Gizmo

D

david campbell

graham have you not noticed we are losing out on jobs with shower cubicles because guys can quote about £100 cheaper cause they don't intend tanking:dizzy2:,when you explain to the customer this needs done they look at you like your some sort of rip-off merchant:rant:

G

gizmo

graham have you not noticed we are losing out on jobs with shower cubicles because guys can quote about £100 cheaper cause they don't intend tanking:dizzy2:,when you explain to the customer this needs done they look at you like your some sort of rip-off merchant:rant:
i get that all the time, cant stand tilers that wear stetsons:incazzato:

S

swiftfix

if the chipboard is still sound,and not bulged with the water possibly getting in.i would get some latex tanking paint and seal it all up then tile over that.

K

keraldine

with that size tile it might be worth checking out the weight too ,chip board can break down so easily.
Might be worth carrying the leaflets for the tanking kits on you guys just so when they look at you like you have three heads you can show them why you are reccomending it

Reply to advice for chipboard wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen