Discuss Adhesion/coverage problem in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have had some tiles pull off the wall. Without exception they were all fixed a different (and perhaps wrong?) way - they were all in tight spaces so I troweled the backs of the tiles instead, whereas for the rest I troweled the wall and also back skimmed the tiles. Trowel was 10mm.

It's very obvious that the ridges didn't collapse to give enough coverage?

I'm pretty bummed out about this. I have checked the other tiles fixed the normal way and they seem well adhered.

IMG_3362.JPG
IMG_3361.JPG

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Could be? I'm using keraflex maxi s1 - mixed according to the packet, but it did seem a bit stiff. I'm also not entirely sure these are completely dry - how long is reasonable to wait before testing?

These were done about a day ago.

LEH

TF
Reaction score
I think you're right - it's the consistency of the adhesive, probably worsened by not applying it to both surfaces. These tiles were all done with the same mix and manner of application. I've had a swing on ones done on other days and they seem well fixed...

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I was having a bit of a panic this morning, as it's my first attempt at tiling. And it is a slow set... Nonetheless the coverage isn't good on these so I think it was for the better to recognise the problem?

Reaction score
If you were at the end of a mix it could have started to go off before your last tiles were fixed. A small mix is best if you're not familiar with the working time of an adhesive, even though it means doing it more often.

LEH

TF
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll put new ones in and pay extra attention to the adhesive, will lift a couple to check too along the way.

L

LM

Judging by your pics the adhesive looks like it’s dehydrated too quickly on the back of the very absorbent tiles, mix probably too stiff also. As above, what substrate where you tiling to and did you prime it?

B

Blunt Tool

Adhesive could be too dry and that biscuit backed ceramic tiles draw the water from the adhesive quickly, sponge the back of them with water before serrating with adhesive and wash down the jackboards aswell with water

Reply to Adhesion/coverage problem in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks