Search the forum,

Discuss Addy,sealer & primer when,where & how? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

59peejay

For the bathroom refit i intend to take off old tiles back to plaster and tank with homelux wall & floor membrane,then if cost ok use travertine tiles 12mm thick not sure of size poss 300x450.
1.Will i need to prime the plaster before using addy to fix the wall membrane,what type of addy and will it also be used for fixing the tiles?,or do you think using a white addy is overboard for fixing the membrane?.
2.I intend to take up the existing floorboards and replace with 24mm wpb ply,fix homelux floor membrane,devi ufh then more of the travertine tiles,do i need to seal the ply,if so what with?can i use the same addy to fix the devi to the ply?,does it need to be primed first?
3.I only intended to tank around the level access shower area until i read about plaster not being able to hold the weight of these tiles,should i buy more homelux wall membrane and carry on around the room(£40-50/5m2)or could i use something cheaper bearing in mind i need to keep the thicknesses the same?Thanks for reading.

G

grumpygrouter

A plaster substrate is not strong enough to support 12mm thick travertine. You will need to remove it and use a cement based backerboard instead. A cement based adhesive will be best for your circumstances.

You only really need to tank the walls where they are going to get wet, no point in spending money where it is not needed.

if you are lifting the floor and laying ply instead, ensure you strengthen the floor with noggins between the joists at 300mm centres and ensure the edges of the ply are supported. The ply should be sealed on the underside and edges before laying.

You didn't say if this was a wet room installation and is the bathroom upstairs. Depending on your answers here, your floor may not need tanking at all.

59peejay

Floor will be level access with 800mm screen separating from rest of bathroom,upstairs room

D

DHTiling

You can use 6mm hardi on the walls...stuck with adhesive and mechanicaly fixed as well......

Level access shower...Is it a resin tray.

59peejay

Was looking at Marmox showerlay purely on cost £70-£80, their website does'nt state what it is constructed of!!

Reply to Addy,sealer & primer when,where & how? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen