Search the forum,

Discuss A little help for a beginner please... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mozzer

Hey all, just joined for a little advice if you could be so kind... Basically I am doing up our bathroom on a budget so doing the work myself and such... I have tiled the walls (Some on top of old tiles, some onto plasterboard), and that all seems fine...

Now, i'm going to be doing the floor tomorrow (Hopefully), and just want to make sure i don't make any costly mistakes.

I have ripped up the flooring that was already in (Lino on top of caulk tiles on top of... hardboard?) so am down to the floorboards now.

I was planning on picking up a sheet or two of hardboard (3mm) because i want to use the thinnest base possible so I don't have to plane the door down or anything... however I have just read that I might come into problems with this with the adhesive not soaking into it if it is 'veneered'? I take it this means if it has that glossy kind of surface?

What is the thinnest product I can get to do this with? Or should I look at using some flexible floor tile adhesive? I am going to be laying electric underfloor heating too, so if that makes a difference then i'd like to know about that too.

Thanks in advance guys :)

M

Mozzer

Also, have some "No Nonsense tile adhesive" that i bought from Screwfix (Because it was the cheapest thing they had...) however when i came to tiling the walls with it, it was an awful product, didn't set nearly fast enough and tiles were sliding down, so i bought pre-mixed stuff which worked a treat...

I noticed the no nonsense stuff dried like cement in the tub after i left it overnight, so will it be fine to use that for the flooring or should I invest in something better there too?

Thankyou.

W

wivers

If your floor boards are flat enough and screwed to the joists all okay then you might be able to get away with a 6 mm hardibaker board.

Some peole prefer to use the 12mm but as you said you need to keep the hight down and if yer boards are okay then 6 mm should be okay imo.

As for the addy that you have i would throw it in the neatest river mate.

powder on the floor is the way to go. If yer worried about your open time then i'd sugest using a SPF wich is a slow setting flexible cement adhesive.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

Hardboard is a no no, get either 12mm ply, prime the edges and the side which sit on the floor boards and screw every 300mm only into the floorboards not thru them. Invest in a better adhesive single part flexible and flexi grout. Go to a good tile outlet who should advise on correct addy for you

C

CJ CERAMICS

as always wivers has got it spot on, would also use a good flexi grout.
think i need to take a course in typing so i can reply quicker lol.

F

faithhealer

Welcome to the forum Mozzer, the good news is that you have come to the right place, bad news is that you need a bit of help here. For starters don't tile on 3mm hardboard. Read up on hardiebacker board on this site and if you are considering UFH check out our sponsor UHEAT. No nonsence was the cheapest was it, I wonder why?

M

Mozzer

Haha, yes I wonder why too haithhealer.

Thanks for the advice so far people, much appreciated.

The no nonsense stuff isn't premixed, it's basically just cement I think... looks like it anyway. I will get some of the better stuff i saw in a local shop.

Also, these other backers... will I be able to buy them from somewhere like Topps Tiles or B&Q?

M

Mozzer

I already have the underfloor heating, it is a 3mm heating element cable.. no mat to it, it's just a length of cable i lay to suit.

Reply to A little help for a beginner please... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen