Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss A Depressing Week. What You Upto?? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Sometimes work has been hard, sometimes frustrating, stressful etc.

But i can't remember the last time a job made me depressed!

This week I had to return to my floating floor job. Don't worry it hadn't/didn't fail.
If you remember any of my other posts regarding it, B&Q had installed a very expensive kitchen very poorly.
After the clients complaint B&Q agreed to remove the Kitchen and pay for me to come back and tile the foot print up to the walls before the fitted a new one.
So Tuesday last week went in, removed my cuts and and adhesive to make way for new tiles.
Already. Spoke with the new fitter to organise things and he tells me one of the heat mats have no continuity. Oh #*%€!!!
Now whether it got damaged before when the previous fitters had it rolled out or whenever. The whole floor has had to come up!
I've spent last week and weekend ripping it all up, putting down 33 bags of floorflex and have recommenced tiling.
I've never had to rip out my work before and despite getting paid very well for doing so it's gutting!

There's a lesson to be learnt though. Never again will I trust a sparky when they tell me mats have been checked. Found the old paperwork, no readings had been listed.
Anytime I've put UFH in for a client I've periodically checked it for continuity, I don't know why I didn't on this one before I started fixing.
#cantwaitforthisjobtobeover!

M

mattle40

Feel for you, joiners came in on my job to move a door casing over 30mm the other week, knocked 4 floor tiles up and that was enough to ruin my day lol, can't imagine how bad ur feeling. Just keep plodding on.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Cheers guys. Just got my head down a little. I put a huge amount of effort into the first floor.
Even being paid twice isn't upping my mood. This job just doesn't feel the same.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It's going to be a bit like 'Ground Hog Day' when you come to tile it!! Are you going to tile it with the same set out or are you going to do something different?

I laid a heating mat last year and I tested it before handing it over to the sparks. I came in the next day to grout and the sparks had installed the thermostat. I still (for my own piece of mind) had to unscrew it from the wall and test it with a multi meter. On this occasion all was fine.

Shame you did not 'dot'n'dab' the tiles to the floor. Would have been easier to pull up!!!!

Q

Qwerty

I know the feeling @AliGage .... I'm on an ensuite refit where I have had to go right down to bare walls & joists. Has added a week to the job which is fine, but can't get out of the next job start date, so having to put in long hours to make it work

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
@Sean Kelly yeah it's being set out exactly the same. Has to be as it's the only way that works well with the kitchen footprint.
@Plan Tec Tiling that's my main issue. Having to redo this is taking time away from an ongoing project where I have a deadline to hit and I have some new business for a builder that's going to be ready any day now. I've just bot got time to be doing this. Starting to flap!

M

mattle40

Just try simplify it in you head, this is the situation your in, what's the most efficient way out of it. (Not trying to be condescending lol) it's just one of those things isn't it you can't do anything about it other than doing your best. The sun will still rise in the morning. Don't take it home with you either, easier said than done I know but again it won't help anything dwelling on it on an evening, just put a good shift in when you're on the job.
Chin up ;)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don't worry ali, i got to job at 9 this morning (had to meet lads at unit at 7.30, then take them to a job , then pick gesr uo for my job , before anyone starts ;) ) plumber was coring out the fan, took him all morning, acci nori brick , i didnt get started till 12 and i had to be at another job at 3, so tomorrow is gonna be a grafter, them godam nori brick :grin::grin:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Well I got a good bit done today. Just got 2sqms in utility to do (pretty much all cuts) and three doorways to cut into.

Have to stay willing! They want me to do bathroom, Ensuite, WC and conservatory over the next 6 months.

Every cloud.........

Reply to A Depressing Week. What You Upto?? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks