Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss tiling up to stairs and edges in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Unregistered

hi all
am fairly new to tiling having only done little splashbacks etc
im going to lift some carpet and do my hallway floor in slate. the hallway will be slate but at the door to my living room it will meet carpet (to be wood later) and at the bottom of the stairs the tiles will meet carpet coming down the vertical of the bottom step.
what is the best/easiest/neatest way to deal with these points where the tiles meet carpet
also the skirting boards are quite new and i don't really want to remove them before tiling will it be a job if i tile the floor and grout up to the skirting boards or is this going to make a mess

Doozy

TF
Reaction score
hi all
im going to lift some carpet and do my hallway floor in slate. the hallway will be slate but at the door to my living room it will meet carpet (to be wood later) and at the bottom of the stairs the tiles will meet carpet coming down the vertical of the bottom step.
what is the best/easiest/neatest way to deal with these points where the tiles meet carpet
also the skirting boards are quite new and i don't really want to remove them before tiling will it be a job if i tile the floor and grout up to the skirting boards or is this going to make a mess

Where the carpet meets the tile at the foot of the stairs, just lift the bottom section of stair carpet, tile under it and then relay the carpet back down to cover the edge of the tile.

Where the tile meets the carpet/wood in the door jam, you need to get a suitable threshold strip to mask the joint. B&Q sell a varied range.

Around the skirting boards, don't use grout as it will almost certainly crack if it's on a wooden floor, use silicone instead. If you haven't sourced your materials yet, Mapei produce silicone sealants that very closely matches their grouts

U

Unregistered

that's great, thanks a lot for that, i will get cracking on it as soon as poss and will definately look into the silicone/grout you suggested
cheers
barry

B

Bolter

If you are asking how to cut the shape, I would say the best method to get you to learn properly is to make yourself a cardboard template of the size of one of your tiles. Tile the floor leaving the couple out round the stairs. Once it has set, get your template, align in the space, fold up the cardboard and crease along the shape and with a sharp stanley blade cut the cardboard to the shape you need.

Transfer this on to a real tile, cut and fit.

Hope that helps.

M

Madison Emma

In my view you should go for a company to do it for you because on your own you will mess it up as I have done these problems are really common and at the same time, these problems can also ruin your hallway completely if you don't do it properly so that's why contact with good construction services.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Madison Emma

hi all
:)

that's great, thanks a lot for that, i will get cracking on it as soon as poss and will definitely look into the silicone/grout you suggested
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to tiling up to stairs and edges in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks