Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss They're Only Stairs Aren't They? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

As I'm currently tiling a large staircase I thought that the rules and regulations regarding stairs may be of interest to some.
These regulations are from a building control perspective only, and not from BS 5385.
The information is taken from
Building Regulations Part K
Protection from falling, collision and impact.
Part K1 Stairs, Ladders and Ramps.
Construction of steps.
For all buildings.
1.5 Have level treads on steps, ensuring that the Rise & Going (risers & treads) of each step are consistent throughout a 'Flight' of steps and are in accordance with Table 1.1
image.jpeg
The measuring of Risers & Goings.
image.jpeg

Each type of staircase has its own set of regulations, those pertaining to my project are:
For Common Access in Buildings that contain Flats.
Part 1.10 Provide a stair with steps that comply with the following guidance.
a. Make step no sings apparent: use a material that will contrast visibly, 50mm to 65mm wide on the tread and 30mm to 55mm on the riser.
b. Use a suitable tread nosing profile, as shown in Diagram 1.2.
c. Use risers that are not open.
image.jpeg
The above information is for guidance only, and as most of us know, each building inspector has their own interpretation of what's required.

So working with the above information, this is how each flight of stairs on my job evolves.
The average size of riser in my case is 173mm and the average tread is 270mm.
Applying the formula above, 2 X riser plus 1 X going (tread)
that equals 173mm + 173mm + 270mm = 616mm
Well within the scope of 550mm - 700mm.

The first process for me is to select pieces that I can match together, whether it be left side, right side, middle, or top or bottom.
Because of the combined measurements of the tread and risers do not equal the measurements of the tiles I have to get a little creative and take pieces from wherever I can find them.
Which can be a slow process.
Effectively I may start with something like this:

image.jpeg

Which eventually turns in to this:

That now consists of a 1365mm walkway, 4 risers and 3 treads.

image.jpeg

Which ends up like this:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As requirements state, each step must be consistent within a 'flight'

Level
image.jpeg

Consistent.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The meter reads 316 because the point of measure is from the back of the unit, length of laser measure is 143mm leaving riser height of 173mm
I just didn't change point of measure before starting.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Another way to check consistency is to place a straight edge on staircase.
If all risers hit the straight edge it passes, if not, it fails.
That simple

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

W

WetSaw

You think you're so clever but I once managed to do a whole wall in "Chicken" tiles with them all the right way round:wink:

I honesty wouldn't have a clue where to start with something like that without the bloody building regs to deal with as well so, for what it's worth coming from me, outstanding work young man, well done!

O

Old Mod

You think you're so clever but I once managed to do a whole wall in "Chicken" tiles with them all the right way round:wink:

I honesty wouldn't have a clue where to start with something like that without the bloody building regs to deal with as well so, for what it's worth coming from me, outstanding work young man, well done!
That's no mean feat either Paul! Haha
And your comments are worth as much as anyone else's my friend! :)
Thank you!

O

Old Mod

Wow Marc, I thought this was going to be a boring thread. How wrong was I? It got better and better and more informative and interesting.
Thanks for the all the info and pics. A great job well done.

Well thanks Sean,
Really pleased you found it interesting. :)

L

LM

That's probably as technically challenging as it gets for stairwells and lobby's.
Excellent work there Mark, cheers for sharing it

Reply to They're Only Stairs Aren't They? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks