Discuss Sealing limestone tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I have some 100mm sq limestone tiles that are being fixed in my bathroom and need to seal them prior to them being fitted. I have some boiled linseed oil left over from an old job a good few years back which involved sealing some terracotta tiles. Is this oil ok for limestone, I tried a sample and it seemed ok to me but other people have said it is a fire hazard and not to use ? Has anyone experienced linseed oil breaking out in fire ?

O

Old Mod

Oh and yes , I remember the days of combustible rags soaked in linseed oil lol lol lol ...

Haha god now you're going back! haha:rolleyes:

Ooow I'll tell u what does combust when soaked in to a rag!!!
HG colour intensifier!!
Nearly had it go up on me last yr! :eek:

O

Old Mod

Solvent based sealers will combust on rags if subjected to sun heat enough etc..

It did shock me because it wasn't a particularly hot day and I only drove from the clients to mine, LUCKILY they were only 10 mins away, which for me is unusual in its self, got home opened the back and it was smoking like mad!
10 mins!!

W

White Room

It did shock me because it wasn't a particularly hot day and I only drove from the clients to mine, LUCKILY they were only 10 mins away, which for me is unusual in its self, got home opened the back and it was smoking like mad!
10 mins!!

That'll teach you to throw your dog end in the back of the motor:)

S

Simon benn Leeds

Lithofin wexa... Don't know about combustible but used it once and it soaked through into my knees, thought jeez my knees are hurting quite a bit more than normal, pants down av a look... Skin rapidly dissolving.... A+E both legs bandaged up.. 4 week recovery.

O

Old Mod

Lithofin wexa... Don't know about combustible but used it once and it soaked through into my knees, thought jeez my knees are hurting quite a bit more than normal, pants down av a look... Skin rapidly dissolving.... A+E both legs bandaged up.. 4 week recovery.
I didn't like it cos u got hurt! Haha
Just for info:D

I did u a bal product 8-9yrs back for removing heavy deposits of epoxy resin.
Instructions said to open every window in building and disconnect EVERY electrical device!
Bit scary, but bloody bell did it work!
No idea what it was or even if it's still made!

S

Simon benn Leeds

I didn't like it cos u got hurt! Haha
Just for info:D

I did u a bal product 8-9yrs back for removing heavy deposits of epoxy resin.
Instructions said to open every window in building and disconnect EVERY electrical device!
Bit scary, but bloody bell did it work!
No idea what it was or even if it's still made!
Jeez I get window thing but disconnect every electrical device!.... It'd Been back ont shelf ha.

O

Old Mod

Yeah well slight oversight on some spilt epoxy I hadn't noticed under all dust sheets, thought I was bang in trouble!
28m room floor to ceiling inc floor in white 50x50 mosaic
Took nearly 4 days to grout haha back in 2005.

S

Simon benn Leeds

image.jpg

2 of us for 2 week solid grouting this beast, grouting in the rain doesn't make me too happy ha ha.
18mm paper faced glass mosaic with inlay gold fishtail weave.
Plenty of tears on that job ha ha

S

SJPurdy

I have some 100mm sq limestone tiles that are being fixed in my bathroom and need to seal them prior to them being fitted. I have some boiled linseed oil left over from an old job a good few years back which involved sealing some terracotta tiles. Is this oil ok for limestone, I tried a sample and it seemed ok to me but other people have said it is a fire hazard and not to use ? Has anyone experienced linseed oil breaking out in fire ?
I would recommend using a purpose designed sealer for your limestone tiles rather than the linseed oil. If you want to avoid the inflammable pageant vapour type then select one that is water based.
Personally I would normally fix the tiles and then seal them (then grout, then seal again) unless the sealer instructions or something else dictated otherwise.

I do remember that when we used linseed oil to polish up quarry tiles to give a nice finish it was also mixed/thinned with paraffin!

Reply to Sealing limestone tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks