Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Porcelanosa Venis tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Ian

Evening all, I've been fitting these tiles for the last couple of weeks and have found that the glaze on them is so thin that it 'pops' when its scored, even with a 6mm wheel scored gently. This is not an issue for internal cuts as they will be covered with silicone but up to trims and window cuts is a problem as the chipping can be quite obvious. I've tried running them through the wet saw and it's not much better also used a glass blade and still no joy. If you look at the thickness of the glaze on a cut tile it is literally a thin as a coat of paint. Has anyone else experienced this issue and have you managed to overcome it some how?

D

DHTiling

I find feather light pressure works.. but ye.. it is like snap crackle and pop ain't it.. :lol:

I

Ian

Yeah really odd, it's a couple of years since i did them last and don't remember it happening before! It's not instant either, I scored an 'L' cut and it started popping while I was on my way over to the wet cutter!!! I wondered what it was. Straight cuts are ok if I score and snap quickly. Most bizzare and not something I expect of tiles that are usually top quality.

D

DHTiling

Scoring from the back is difficult sometimes with these as they have multiple lines on the back and they tend to follow the closest line instead of the score.. but ye you can score from the back sometimes.

I

Ian

Bit awkward with an 'L' cut but I'll have a go tomorrow and see if there is any improvement. It's not overly noticeable but I think the cuts could be much crisper.

S

Stewart

Scoring from the back is difficult sometimes with these as they have multiple lines on the back and they tend to follow the closest line instead of the score.. but ye you can score from the back sometimes.

Totally agree and only works with some tiles....

I've also used a 22mm blunt blade if the tiles are soft enough and this marks the glaze instead of scoring it and can give a clean break when snapped.

---
- Sent from iPhone.....

D

doug boardley

I've always found this with Porcelanosa tiles, as you say, not really a probs with internals, but externals are a mare! Best I managed was to lightly score with wet cutter and then snap them.

K

kaharrison9

I did these Venus about a year ago.
Is it the metre long ones?
I had the same problems but found them inconsistant.
Could have a couple of hours of them breaking fine then for no reason the pinging of the glaze would start very frustrating.
I used the Homelux trims 12.5mm chrome trims where the tile actualy fits into the trim so where looking directly onto the trims any chipped glaze was fully hidden.
I was using my tx1200 and i remember i seemed to get a better result if i lightly scribed in a very smooth continuous action.
Also i lubricated the bars of the tx regular and wd40 the wheel so it ran as smoothly as possible
Bit of a pain but any wet cuts needed i would scribe first then run through the clipper rather than the overhead.
Maybe better with a less powerful cutter

I

Ian

Put a blunt 22mm wheel in the tx 1200 today and got much better results, how strange! Cheers Stewart for the tip.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to Porcelanosa Venis tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks