Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss My local Tile shop has shut... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

Hawkofeagles

Heard some bad news today, my local tile shop has pulled the shutters down and shut shop for good. :thumbsdown: This tile shop had a good bunch of staff and I felt confident with the advise they gave me. Now I will have to go to another local tile shop set up an account and start to get to know them now.

M

mikethetile

im sorry to hear that mate

a lot of independants are struggling, I just lost a local paint supplier and like you I have to get myself known somewhere else

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
seems to be up and down here,,of course the shops tell you they are doing okay but they seem like ghost towns sometimes at the mo

U

united

It's still tough out there. I say there are some major hight street retailers that will go bust before things start to get better.

Hope you find a new tile shop as good as that one mate.

H

Hawkofeagles

I must admit they were only there for a short time but I knew if I needed something while on a job I could go there and get exactly what I wanted.

Fortunatly I have a Tile Giant account so will be going there more often now,so glad I applied for an account with them a while back...:thumbsup:

H

Hawkofeagles

Ok so i went to the other tile shop locally and they seem pretty helpful. They have a nice selection of tiles, grouts and adhesives although they are going to stop selling Mapei products. The reason for this they say is due to the exchange rate as Mapei is Itallian, so they are now stocking Granfix Grouts which I have used before with no problems. So I'm very happy.

Now I just want to check a few things here. As I have never laid Porcelain tiles that need the transit wax removed and sealed before grouting I just want to confirm that the products they have advised me to use are appropriate for the job. Here goes...

To remove the transit wax coating they are saying I need to use Lithofin Wax off and to seal the tiles Lithofin MN Stainstop. It's not that I don't trust them I just need confirmation as this job is very important to me as It could lead to more things so I want it to be top drawer..

Any info gratefully appreciated..

D

DHTiling

Ok so i went to the other tile shop locally and they seem pretty helpful. They have a nice selection of tiles, grouts and adhesives although they are going to stop selling Mapei products. The reason for this they say is due to the exchange rate as Mapei is Itallian, so they are now stocking Granfix Grouts which I have used before with no problems. So I'm very happy.

Now I just want to check a few things here. As I have never laid Porcelain tiles that need the transit wax removed and sealed before grouting I just want to confirm that the products they have advised me to use are appropriate for the job. Here goes...

To remove the transit wax coating they are saying I need to use Lithofin Wax off and to seal the tiles Lithofin MN Stainstop. It's not that I don't trust them I just need confirmation as this job is very important to me as It could lead to more things so I want it to be top drawer..

Any info gratefully appreciated..

LOL.. Mapei has a massive factory in the UK.. I think they just wanted to sell the cheaper granfix products and used that as an excuse..:smilewinkgrin:

Reply to My local Tile shop has shut... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks