Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Insulation Boards in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

jimbo

TF
Reaction score
What thickness should the insulation board be when laying onto a concrete subfloor. I have to install electric underfloor heating and porcelain tiles.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What thickness should the insulation board be when laying onto a concrete subfloor. I have to install electric underfloor heating and porcelain tiles.
Depends if you are using the insulation to meet building regs or just to help the underfloor heating a bit.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The concrete should have insulation under it. So that's the bit the building regs want isn't it?

The insulation ON TOP OF the concrete is purely so you don't heat up the slab. So it doesn't 'need' to be a certain thickness per se, it just needs to be as much as you've got room for. Goes from 6mm to 60mm in standard stock thicknesses.

I think I'm right there @Ajax123 ?

jimbo

TF
Reaction score
Depends if you are using the insulation to meet building regs or just to help the underfloor heating a bit.

The concrete should have insulation under it. So that's the bit the building regs want isn't it?

The insulation ON TOP OF the concrete is purely so you don't heat up the slab. So it doesn't 'need' to be a certain thickness per se, it just needs to be as much as you've got room for. Goes from 6mm to 60mm in standard stock thicknesses.

I think I'm right there @Ajax123 ?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
you can go as think as 6mm but realistically, whilst I appreciate every little helps, 6mm insulation board is next to useless. I would go 10mm or more as per whitebeam. And yes Dan the buiding regs insulation would normally be under the concrete although not always when UFH is going on top.

Reply to Insulation Boards in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks