Currently reading:
guaranteees from companies on products

Discuss guaranteees from companies on products in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It would be unlawful for PCI to withdraw any warranty just because you use someone elses addy. This sort of thing is classed as restrictive trade practice and is illegal. It is simply sales tactic that they say you should use their glue. You would hold separate warrants for each material used and it would be up to them to provide evidence that one material is not compatible with another.

That said however mixing products causes un-necessary issues as innevitably if the installation fails PCI would blame mapei and vice versa. If possible it is always best to stick with systems from the same company.

C

Colour Republic

It would be unlawful for PCI to withdraw any warranty just because you use someone elses addy. This sort of thing is classed as restrictive trade practice and is illegal. It is simply sales tactic that they say you should use their glue. You would hold separate warrants for each material used and it would be up to them to provide evidence that one material is not compatible with another.

That said however mixing products causes un-necessary issues as innevitably if the installation fails PCI would blame mapei and vice versa. If possible it is always best to stick with systems from the same company.

I know what you are saying but manufacturers don't have to offer a guarantee other than it being fit for purpose. Some manufactuers get around this by saying there products are part of a 'System' if you want the 5/10/15... year guarantee. Just depends if you want the extended guarantee or not

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I know what you are saying but manufacturers don't have to offer a guarantee other than it being fit for purpose. Some manufactuers get around this by saying there products are part of a 'System' if you want the 5/10/15... year guarantee. Just depends if you want the extended guarantee or not

products have to be fit for purpose and subject to correct installation, use and treatment remain fit for purpose for a "reasonable term". In the construction industry this term is generally quite a long term. Standard design life for housing for example is 100 years.

I would think a reasonable design life fro a tile adhesive would be 25 years although I stand to be corrected.

A manufacturer has an obligation to meet the requirements of the job. If no design life is specified (e.g. BSF and PFI projects ask for 12 year snagging and that is the normal design life request from main contractors) then concept of reasonable term would come into play.

If you buy an electric radio for example you normally get a manufacturers warranty for 1 year. However if you examine the sale of good legislation you will find that the manufacturer has an obligation to warrant the design life for 7 years. If you can demonstrate that a fault occurring during this period is inherent to the unit and not due to mis use then you are entitled to your money back or a replacement.

D

diamondtiling

products have to be fit for purpose and subject to correct installation, use and treatment remain fit for purpose for a "reasonable term". In the construction industry this term is generally quite a long term. Standard design life for housing for example is 100 years.

I would think a reasonable design life fro a tile adhesive would be 25 years although I stand to be corrected.

A manufacturer has an obligation to meet the requirements of the job. If no design life is specified (e.g. BSF and PFI projects ask for 12 year snagging and that is the normal design life request from main contractors) then concept of reasonable term would come into play.

If you buy an electric radio for example you normally get a manufacturers warranty for 1 year. However if you examine the sale of good legislation you will find that the manufacturer has an obligation to warrant the design life for 7 years. If you can demonstrate that a fault occurring during this period is inherent to the unit and not due to mis use then you are entitled to your money back or a replacement.

I agree with you Al but there is a product made by dulux called weathershield, its a primer,undercoat and gloss paint system that is supposed to withstand the elements of our weather. I can just imagine getting wickes own brand primer and undercoat but using Dulux's gloss.
They would laugh me out of court when it breaks down in 6 months.

:thumbsdown:

C

Colour Republic

However if you examine the sale of good legislation you will find that the manufacturer has an obligation to warrant the design life for 7 years. If you can demonstrate that a fault occurring during this period is inherent to the unit and not due to mis use then you are entitled to your money back or a replacement.

If this is true then you sir are going to save me a packet in the coming years, as I've never heard that.... now if I can just find out what landfill my last TV ended up in I could be quids in.

It was maybe wrong of me to quote the 5/10/15 year bit as at the time of writing I had the Dulux system in my head, i'd expect tile adhesives to vastly outlast 5 years. Now the 100 year bit is quite surprising as i've seen new builds that don't look like they could withstand a strong gust of wind let alone a 100 years worth of harsh winters

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
One that always makes me laigh is Ronseal - does what it says on the tin. Guaranteed for 10 years (or what ever it is) if applied correctly but the warranty requirement says must be recoated once a year.

The warranty stuff is correct but I would not want to have to test it in court cos there are so many issues and the burden of proof of fault lies with you the buyer once the standard conditions warranty is up.

Reply to guaranteees from companies on products in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.