Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Glass mosaic tiles chrome finish in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

keith1960

Evening, im doing a bath room refit for a customer, with backer board on one wall , with the screws and washers, and waterproofed as well, and plaster one the other, waterproofed as well,origianlly it was going to be ceramic tiles, no problem, now the customer has changed the tiles to glass mosaic for the whole shower area, dont you just hate that,
im concrened how it will look with mosaics over the screws and washers in backer board, or any suggestions how to skim the wall flat, maybe fast set adhesive to level it out, and whats the best adhesive to use, and do i need a special grout because of the chrome finish

W

White Room

I would skim a coat of flexible adhesive all over the areas where the mosaic are being fixed but make sure it's flat and smooth.

T

Time's Ran Out

Make sure you use white adhesive, solid bed, as it may show through the glass. The chrome should be protected with a plastic film while grouting and it gets removed after.

O

Old Mod

As the guys have said, skim mosaic walls with a white adhesive. Bal's Max-Flex Fibre is the whitest I've found, apart from Bisazza's Adhoc adhesive by BASF from Germany. If u don't and the glass is at all translucent, like John says the mesh back at the very least will show thro!
To illustrate this the following two photos were taken at the same time with the exact same lighting. Not only are they the same tile, it IS actually the same sheet of mosaic on different backgrounds. Firstly on a white background, and how the tile SHOULD look and the second on a piece of black granite.
042438df020cab0b9cd60a5797c9ee0f.jpg

3b097004f47c96a82bc0ce2deb1d60b6.jpg

The next two photo's are walls whitened out. The first is BASF's Adhoc the second Bal's Max-Flex Fibre.
a64d89a715f56ad212a3ec40d9690c3a.jpg

ea603566f16119c1a559cf24717848b2.jpg

Then hopefully you'll end up with the desired outcome.
38a09f439ddfc4ef61a8f973ef5383c4.jpg

ade38e83708ea56a293558b7b16f1b7c.jpg

Good luck chap

D

Dash J

Your screws should be counter sunk?you need to use an unsanded grout so you don't scratch the chrome

R

Russell brown

As the guys have said, skim mosaic walls with a white adhesive. Bal's Max-Flex Fibre is the whitest I've found, apart from Bisazza's Adhoc adhesive by BASF from Germany. If u don't and the glass is at all translucent, like John says the mesh back at the very least will show thro!
To illustrate this the following two photos were taken at the same time with the exact same lighting. Not only are they the same tile, it IS actually the same sheet of mosaic on different backgrounds. Firstly on a white background, and how the tile SHOULD look and the second on a piece of black granite.
042438df020cab0b9cd60a5797c9ee0f.jpg

3b097004f47c96a82bc0ce2deb1d60b6.jpg

The next two photo's are walls whitened out. The first is BASF's Adhoc the second Bal's Max-Flex Fibre.
a64d89a715f56ad212a3ec40d9690c3a.jpg

ea603566f16119c1a559cf24717848b2.jpg

Then hopefully you'll end up with the desired outcome.
38a09f439ddfc4ef61a8f973ef5383c4.jpg

ade38e83708ea56a293558b7b16f1b7c.jpg

Good luck chap

how hard is it to skim that flat with adhesive and what method do you use?, I plaster as well so I just skim the walls when needed. Looks good!

O

Old Mod

how hard is it to skim that flat with adhesive and what method do you use?, I plaster as well so I just skim the walls when needed. Looks good!
Thanks.
i find it easier than plaster haha but I'm no spread!
Method? Best way I can is my method, trowel if walls are good and a feather edge if they need straightening. I also use a cut down feather edge as a baton to straighten corners. Something I know is straight and true. Travis do 1.8m edges for £7.00 for me that's a small price for perfect corners.
Hope that helps a little. :thumbsup:

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Why dont you apply the skim coat of adhesive with a notch trowel , then just flatten it of with the back edge of the trowel , you should get a relatively even coat that way.

Diggy

Reply to Glass mosaic tiles chrome finish in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks