Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss General tiling options in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I had an awful tiling job recently in my kitchen dining room areas (24m2). All will be coming up and I am now considering all my options, including UFH. The rooms are connected.

can anyone tell me my best options in terms decoupling mats, insulation boards, electric mats or loose wire? I appreciate this is a very general question. I was wondering if it is common to use both the decoupling and insulation boards? If I use either will that negate the need for latex if required?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would only use a decoupling mat with certain tiles.......ie, natural stone, slate, or soft ceramics.

J

J Sid

Without doubt I would recommend insulation board and as thick as your heights will allow. SLC over the wire, I prefer loose wire, other will prefer mat, and with porcelain no real need for an uncoupling membrane but is an extra insurance if you can afford it.
This is assuming your base is sand and cement

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would be looking at Ditra Heat or Warm Up DCM Pro.

Reaction score
When you say level, is that the latex self level compound? It’s probably very obvious but can someone describe to me what benefit this will give considering there will be insulation boards etc? I have a brand new house and given it’s not perfect, it still looks pretty level.

J

J Sid

I say it's not a must but very advisable to both protect wires and help distribute the heat

D

Dumbo

If you get air pockets around the wires the heat won't dissipate properly at that point and the wire can burn out . Latexing greatly reduces the chances of this plus alsp there is less chance of damaging the cables during tile instalation

H

hmtiling

The elements need to be fully encapsulated as above. It can be done with adhesive when tiling but this will take longer and will there's danger of damage to a cable.
Also, if ever a tile needs changing there's much more chance of doing so without damage to the wires if latexed. Madness not to latex imo.
My preferred method is same as Julian apart from mat instead of loose wire

Reply to General tiling options in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks