Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Yuk! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Y

ynotlac

:yikes:IVE GOT VERY OLD VINYL-TILES.. USING A HEAT GUN -SCRAPER VERYHARD WERK.. STILL STICKY ADHESIVE RESIDUE LEFT USED ANGLE GRINDER WITH CORSE WIRE BRUSH 2 REMOVE AND SEEMS 2 HAVE DONE THE JOB BUT CONC FLR HAS A POLISHED SHINNY FINISH IS THIS OK 2 TILE ON OR DO I SAND IT? USE SUGARSOAP WHITE-OR METHS OR SOME SORT OF CHEMICAL CLEANER WORRIED SHINNY RESIDUE WILL AFFECT ADHESIVE ADHESION USING -DUNLOP LARGE FORMAT 4 PORCELAIN TILES AND WAS GOING 2 USE SBR BEFORE ADDY. SHOULD I TILE WHILE SBR IS STILL DAMP OR DO I HAVE 2 LEAVE 2 DRY AND HOW MUCH DO I DILUTE ALSO GOING 2 USE TIKKO ULTIMATE SEALER AFTER BEING LAID BUT B4 GROUT HAS ANYONE USED THIS STUFF

D

davy_G

Hi ynotlc,
If the floor is uneven use a self levelling compound before tiling, it will cover any remaining sticky bits and give a lovely surface to tile off.
Use the primer & sealers as per the instructions and yes wait till its dry.
Ive used Dunlop LF alot, its flexible as well and can be used to bed up eneven floors if you decide against self levelling.
Good luck

H

hillhead

I would prime with primer G from mapei, i don't like the dunlop adhesives,heard bad reports lately including tiles blowing ! and i know the guy primes all the time . Just my opinion on here though.use a good flexi adhesive,ie keraquick or similar,its great on porcelain.

D

davy_G

I would prime with primer G from mapei, i don't like the dunlop adhesives,heard bad reports lately including tiles blowing ! and i know the guy primes all the time . Just my opinion on here though.use a good flexi adhesive,ie keraquick or similar,its great on porcelain.

Ive had no problems and keep using it, but I have heard of guys having problems especially with the white gear. Maybe best be safe than sorry if you havnt bought already and see what else it close by?

H

hillhead

Ive had no problems and keep using it, but I have heard of guys having problems especially with the white gear. Maybe best be safe than sorry if you havnt bought already and see what else it close by?

Yes Davy the white gear seems to be the problem,when you see it being promoted at £10 a bag too you know there's something up,i'm watching carefully because i done two jobs using the white on floors !!

D

davy_G

Yes Davy the white gear seems to be the problem,when you see it being promoted at £10 a bag too you know there's something up,i'm watching carefully because i done two jobs using the white on floors !!

I anit used it, but my local tile shop gave me a bag. Think I will use it to patch a hole in my laneway!

Y

ynotlac

DATS ABOUT THE WORST THING U CUD AV SAID. JUST GOT 20 BAGS OF WHITE..DO U THINK IF I ADD DULOP FLEXI ADDITIVE THIS MIGHT HELP AS ITS SPOSED 2 MAKE STRONGER MORE FLEXIBLE MIX BUT IT ALSO SAYS ITS FLEXI ON BAG.. CUD MUK IT UP. FLOORS ARE VERY GOOD LEVEL:oops:

D

davy_G

DATS ABOUT THE WORST THING U CUD AV SAID. JUST GOT 20 BAGS OF WHITE..DO U THINK IF I ADD DULOP FLEXI ADDITIVE THIS MIGHT HELP AS ITS SPOSED 2 MAKE STRONGER MORE FLEXIBLE MIX BUT IT ALSO SAYS ITS FLEXI ON BAG.. CUD MUK IT UP. FLOORS ARE VERY GOOD LEVEL:oops:

See if you can get some more advice on here with regard to peoples experiences with white. I wouldnt panic.
It should be flexible already so adding the adhesive will not help a great deal but on the flip side can it do any harm.
Check with you adhesive supplier if they have any negative feedback, it is only on here I have heard about it and my shop has had no negative feedback, they sell alot of dunlop addy

Reply to Yuk! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks