Search the forum,

Discuss Wickes waterproof membrane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

casa oops

Hiya all,

This is my first message after lurking around for a while picking up some amazingly useful info, but I've been unable to find anything on wickes waterproof membrane or 'wet room tanking fleece' as they call it.

I have already bought it and was hoping to start laying it in the next couple of days but now I have realised that wickes never actually discusses using the membrane on the walls, only on the floor. Quite how I missed this I don't know but I did.

So my question does anyone have any experience of this membrane on the wall? If not does anyone know if it is a rebrand of another manufacturers membrane, (their wetroom two part waste is a dallmer drain for example).

The tiles are 30x45 travertine approx 12mm thick, so fairly heavy and I've weighed them at 21kg per sq m. The walls are new plasterboard on one side and old but sound plasterboard on the other, both over bricks.

Finally what adhesive would you recommend over/under the membrane, my local diy (in horsforth, leeds) sells everbuild 702 waterproof tile adhesive which I've used before successfully.

Thanks for any advice, especially one that might ease my stress!

Sam

C

casa oops

That's fantastic news thank you! :8:

Amazing that Wickes actually tell people that you only need to tank 7cm up the wall.

Sam

P

peckers

I wouldnt use everbuild for that project, seen it fail so many times by builders that have used it.
I would use a single part flexible white adhesive for your travertine tiles from either mapei or bal, go for a good branded make, Dont used tub gear make sure its the cement adhesive in the bag you mix yourself. you could use mapei keraflex white.

C

casa oops

Ok thanks. Anything wrong with the everbuild for the parts of the room which are not tanked? I've already done a couple of square metres and I still have a couple of large tubs of it - I can take the full one back of course.

Why flexible adhesive? I bought the kerdi book by john bridges and read some posts there where they recommended that modified adhesives could fail when used with membranes because they don't get to breathe properly or something. Is that specific to kerdi or is it a terminology thing, the americans seem to have different names for everything. The tray is a screed former, so shouldn't be moving at all. Though I guess the plasterboard might have a little movement in it.

If I do use the rest of the everbuild it says on the pot that I should prime with PVA, but i have just read the PVA vs Primer thread. Should I follow or ignore the manufacturers guidelines?

U

united

I would follow peckers advice above :thumbsup:

Don't continue with the everbuild stuff just take it back and most of all please DO NOT use PVA to prime.

Reply to Wickes waterproof membrane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen