Currently reading:
Which essential tools for starting out?

Search the forum,

Discuss Which essential tools for starting out? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

steve187

get the tools as you need them, as the jobs come up, different tools for floors then walls, but some overlap, dry and wet cutter trowels etc, if you can afford it get the best cutters, but if budget is tight get a cheaper one that does the job , but think about replacing it with a better one further down the line, get a medium size dry cutter first, that will do sizes up to 700 say, a smaller one can be added later for kitchens, if your work goes that way,

have a look on here in the for sale section, also put in an ad, maybe someone has got some tools that are not used now that they may be willing to sell on.

all the best

A

Alan M

if your a trades man already then you probably have most of the non tiling stuff.
i would get a mixer ,dry cutter(fairy bit but not enourmous) ,trowels , grout float, good cheap grinder and disk,and a few sponges. every thing else will be built up as the money comes in and you see what you need. this is how i did it.
make sure to get a good tool box to put everything in. in my eyes this is one of the core principles i work by. have all my tools for each job type in its own tool box, ready to go . and then you wont forget anything

D

dingabell

Thanks guys. Every bit of advice is greatly appreciated. I wouldn't say I have an open ended budget but my redundancy money will let me buy the quality of tools I want rather than having to scrimp. I think I'd much rather buy the best quality I can afford rather than buying cheaply and having problems/having to buy twice because they're just not up to the job. For me starting out, I think tools which make things easier/quicker for me will be a major benefit, though I obviously realise it's more about my own skill than the tools I use. A good quality Sigma cutter (3cm)? will probably be the first major purchase. Thanks again for your advice. It really does help.

Reply to Which essential tools for starting out? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.