Search the forum,

Discuss When Do You Uncouple? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

I don't always use them. Heated floor of a large size, yes. Small heated floor, not unless I'm fixing some weak stone. Fresh screed, yes. Anhydrite screed, always (at least until I'm convinced by gypsum adhesive). Typical thought process is highlighted by a job I'm soon taking on... 300sqm of high quality porcelain onto heated anhydrite screed. In theory i can tile direct using gypsum adhesive. Will i risk 15k worth of tiles popping? No way. Its ditra for me.

F

Flintstone

Wood subfloor or lots of windows. Almost all my floors are over wood, so basically every job I do. Things move at different rates and it seems like cheap insurance. An added benifit is most membranes are lighter and easier to work with than hardi.

This is one thing I don't get, what's wrong with over boarding with hardie or no more ply. It's solid and there is not gonna be any lateral movement. Why use a membrane instead ?

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I don't always use them. Heated floor of a large size, yes. Small heated floor, not unless I'm fixing some weak stone. Fresh screed, yes. Anhydrite screed, always (at least until I'm convinced by gypsum adhesive). Typical thought process is highlighted by a job I'm soon taking on... 300sqm of high quality porcelain onto heated anhydrite screed. In theory i can tile direct using gypsum adhesive. Will i risk 15k worth of tiles popping? No way. Its ditra for me.

That gypsum based adhesive scares me too impish!.....don't mind laying the decoupling membrane with it ( Bal rapid mat mostly ) then flexi cement based addy

S

Stef

That gypsum based adhesive scares me too impish!.....don't mind laying the decoupling membrane with it ( Bal rapid mat mostly ) then flexi cement based addy
I've done a few gypsum floors & give me them any day over a cement screed.
Anhyfix for adhesive & as long as all rules are followed then there's nothing to be worried about.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Anhyfix for adhesive & as long as all rules are followed then there's nothing to be worried about.[/QUOTE
Anhyfix for adhesive & as long as all rules are followed then there's nothing to be worried about.[/QUOTE

Are gypsum based adhesives recommended with British standards??.....I'm sure even if it comes to annhy screeds then British standards recommend priming then cement base addy:confused2:

Can any of you technical gurus confirm???

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Totally see where you are coming from there Stef........it just baffles me why gypsum based adhesives are not mentioned within British standards regarding tiling onto gypsum screeds, so you have Ardex, Bal & Mapei that all recommend priming then using cement based addy and this is British standards they follow, so regarding gypsum based adhesive who makes the rules

W

White Room

Totally see where you are coming from there Stef........it just baffles me why gypsum based adhesives are not mentioned within British standards regarding tiling onto gypsum screeds, so you have Ardex, Bal & Mapei that all recommend priming then using cement based addy and this is British standards they follow, so regarding gypsum based adhesive who makes the rules

They probably haven't caught up yet or haven't a clue about usage of it....

S

Stef

They probably haven't caught up yet or haven't a clue about usage of it....
Probably don't know about it.
I've only done one anhydrite floor with a cement addy, I gave it 4 or 5 coats of primer & im still paranoid about it.
It's still stuck solid but I wouldn't just rely on 1 or 2 coats of primer as manufacturers state as I don't think your creating that barrier between the 2.
Anhyfix is a superb addy & sticks like the proverbial.

S

Stef

Good discussion from both sides.
I've started using more thermal boards than Hardie as the foam in the boards will slightly decouple the substrate, this is only my view don't take it as gospel,
I used Ditra on caberdeck flooring & had problems with a bit of grout cracking, Ditra fixed with af200, I couldn't overboard as we were tight to the front door.
In America they overboard with OSB then fix Ditra to everything.

J

J Sid

I struggle to see the use of uncoupling unless your perhaps using fragile stone tiles. As said by some one else, I wouldn't feel happy laying it over floorboards when you could board it instead which would probably take a fraction longer to do
I have in the past laid no more ply over boards and had It fail, the boards cracked along some of the wood joints..... Hence I use membrane now.
I would add I feel HB is a better product than NMP and prefer the fixing method for HB, feel it gives a stronger finished floor.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Alaska
Here where I live everything is wood subfloor, so most everything gets a membrane. If a floor needs added strength we do that with plywood then a membrane. Ditra or any other product is nice because it is lightweight so easier on the body to install. Are membranes overkill in most cases, sure, but people who call for work have seen the marketing and ask for it usually.

Reply to When Do You Uncouple? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement