Search the forum,

Discuss When do I use a Decoupling Membrane?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi all :thumbsup:

Having never used this product I just want to get things straight.

1. I've just been out to 2 quotes and both of them are using natural stone onto concrete screed. One has piped heating under the screed and the other hasn't. Is it best to quote membrane for both of these jobs as they are both natural stone or just the one with the heating or none of them?

2. Is it necessary to use the membrane when laying natural stone tiles on an upper level onto 9mm ply using fastflex?

3. Is it necessary to use the membrane when laying natural stone tiles on an upper level onto 18mm ply using spf addy?

4. Is it necessary to use the membrane when laying ceramic/porcelain on an upper level onto 9mm ply using fastflex?

5. Is it necessary to use the membrane when laying ceramic/porcelain on an upper level onto 18mm ply using spf addy?

Cheers Ross :thumbsup:

W

wetdec

Uncoupling membranes :

How they work

put one hand flat on a desk sit an egg on it ..... slide the hand away...egg smashes right........

Now put 2 hands flat on top of each other on the desk and get an egg put on top .....slide the bottom hand away..............egg is safe

Thats how it works uncoupling membrane 2 hands = 2 layers with the tiles on top, when the floor moves the bottom layer moves while the top layer keeps your tiles safe.

Now this only aplies to lateral movement thats movement accross the surface not vertical movement. eg the floor expands or contracts.

Therefore if you have any doubt that the floor is going to move lateraly you use an uncoupling membrane especialy with stone

Heated floors expand and contract

Wood floors expand and contract

New screeds expand an contract.

tiler

T

TilingLogistics

Uncoupling membranes :

How they work

put one hand flat on a desk sit an egg on it ..... slide the hand away...egg smashes right........

Now put 2 hands flat on top of each other on the desk and get an egg put on top .....slide the bottom hand away..............egg is safe

Thats how it works uncoupling membrane 2 hands = 2 layers with the tiles on top, when the floor moves the bottom layer moves while the top layer keeps your tiles safe.

Now this only aplies to lateral movement thats movement accross the surface not vertical movement. eg the floor expands or contracts.

Therefore if you have any doubt that the floor is going to move lateraly you use an uncoupling membrane especialy with stone

New screeds expand an contract

tiler

Great Post:hurray::hurray::hurray: What a brilliant explanation:thumbsup:

Kev

Reaction score
Uncoupling membranes :

How they work

New screeds expand an contract

This pdf will help you out Durabase Ci uncoupling matting

tiler

Perfectly explained. Thx Mate :thumbsup:

Reaction score
i swopped from schluler to dural as i am a west brom fan and the schluter stuff is in a very nasty wolves colour

S

saintdom

very interesting article wet dec, how about a 3 month old screed with 15 mm ply over board. The conservatory company were meant to tile but had no time, said it was all ready to tile , just prime and start tiling.

W

White Room

Whats holding the ply to the floor and 15mm ply is'nt even made:huh2:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

saintdom

sorry its 12 mm, i think, and it looks like they have just screwed it into screed. dont look pretty. dont even know why they bothered to be fair. if they had done a decent enough screed why would you ply?

Reply to When do I use a Decoupling Membrane?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen