Search the forum,

Discuss when and how to batten out???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lendini

Hi all.correct me if i am wrong if i am using say large format tiles that are heavy will i work out my centrelines vertical and horizontal to get my cuts right then put a batten on my bottom most full tile and work up using spacers ,then back butter the others in after batten is removed.waht is the maximum size tile in your experiece before you need to start doing this procedure.

could you also tell me how to batten out.would i use srews ,nails, or even no nails to position batten and is wood good for the job on a proffessional scale.many thanks in advance chaps

G

grumpygrouter

Hi all.correct me if i am wrong if i am using say large format tiles that are heavy will i work out my centrelines vertical and horizontal to get my cuts right then put a batten on my bottom most full tile and work up using spacers ,then back butter the others in after batten is removed.waht is the maximum size tile in your experiece before you need to start doing this procedure.

could you also tell me how to batten out.would i use srews ,nails, or even no nails to position batten and is wood good for the job on a proffessional scale.many thanks in advance chaps

I agree with your first paragraph about where to put the batten, but the tile size really doesn't make any difference IMO. If you are not comfortable starting without a batten, use one. Doesn't make you a bad tiler. As for back buttering the last row, that would depend if you could get your trowel onto the wall or not.

How you fix your batten depends on what you are trying to fix it to. I use shelving brackets and screws if into a substrate that will hold it, some guys use masonary nails if going into hard stuff like blockwork and the like.

If you do a search in the link at the top for Battens there has been discussion previously about this, you may find it helpful.

Grumpy

S

strongboes

As for buttering then in a normal sized bathroom with a decent size tile, I would say I can butter the tile and fix quicker than buttering the wall, so I would deffo butter the tile!

B

brian c

generally the bigger the tile the heavier,so batten out anything above 3oox300 IMO.

DEPENDING ON THE SUBSTRATE THIS WILL DETERMINE WHAT TO USE FOR FIXING...I.E PLASTERBOARD ID FIX ONTO THE WOOD BETWEEN THE BOARDS OR IF BRICK ID USE MASONARY NAILS.

i would take batten off at end and back butter as you say m8.

T

TheWrightTiler

baton stands for me lol. great tool and the peeps who invented them should be made knights of the realm lol

andy

failing that for small tiles then a glue gun with a bit of strapping

Reply to when and how to batten out???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen