Search the forum,

Discuss Whats happened to our great trade? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
It seems to be under attack from DIYERS, Chancers , foreigners undercutting , employers lowering the prices, then we have product overload with three /four products all saying they are the best to use, work is getting scares , and the world economy is not getting any better where are the main faults and how can we improve things ourselves ???

C

Colour Republic

Dave I really don't see the building industry any different than when I started, , there has always been chancers, there have always been DIYers, there has always been foreign labour but hang on I know of tilers who were making good money in Germany 20 years ago, they weren't complaining then.

I've always firmly believed that you're not owed a living, you either sit and moan about, change the way you work and look for the opportunities that exploit the situation or you throw in the towel and change profession. It is what it is and no amount of foot stomping will change it, only you can change how you play the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bugs183

This is the main underlying problem behind what is happening in the world today:

Fiat money - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everything is based on imaginary money, and the pillocks that leant out this non existent money are reaping what they have sown. We all bought into the dream, our houses increased in value, based upon no solid resources to back the increase, lots of people bought nice things and didn't have the money to pay for it so they borrowed more imaginary money. Now those rivers of non existent money are drying up so there is less to spend, and we are just at the bottom of the chain.
I don't really think there are many more DIY'ers out there than before, i think we are just getting to see the results of their attempts on this forum and getting an imbalanced view that everyone is at it.
As for the foreigners coming taking our work, well i wouldn't blame them, as Colour says, who wouldn't jump at the chance to earn 2 or 3 times you salary somewhere else, guys went to Germany, and the Middle East to earn dosh and didn't complain. The trouble is and i generalise here is that us Brits are very good and going abroad to work and exploit other countries, but ooh we get annoyed when anyone comes to our country and does the same.
The world is a small place these days and we are effected by so many things happening in other countries that 20 years would have no influence on us at all.

P

Peter

I firmly believe that there's enough work about for every decent tradesman, providing they're willing to go out and desire and look for it, rather than moaning on the internet.

Builders merchants, skip companies, tile shops etc are still selling despite what they tell you, and people still want good quality work done and don't mind paying slightly more for it as long as you're not greedy.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

there is over surplie in the market today but the demand is still great for those that have gone beyond what you would exspect if you havent build a great recomend trail behind you .may be you have to ask your self why and answer that with truth and honestey as most of our work will always come from the work we left behind and how we got on with the clients if you leave a great job behind you and trust you cant go wroug .people buy people not prouducts or bull s . so in not sattisfeiying bouth you will loose out in the end always do every job like its your home and always talk to your client how you would liked to be talked to just because they dont understand does not make them thik anymore than you trying to do there job we all have our own tallent dont dont put them down because they dont understand yours does not mean they dont respect your skill at the end of the day

Reply to Whats happened to our great trade? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen