Search the forum,

Discuss What to wall and floor board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Hardibacker is NOT waterproof.
It is only unaffected by water.
If you want a particular area of the Hardie backer waterproofed, you must tank it.
The wpc you intend to use on the walls will be ok, but the hardie must not only be stuck with adhesive, but must also be secured by screws.
There are markings in the board to show you where, and screws must be countersunk.
And all joints must be taped with an alkali resistant skrim tape and covered with a skim of adhesive, the back edge if the trowel will suffice.
Use turbo golds from Screwfix and not hardie screws, they snap.
Make sure the original floorboards are screwed firmly to the joists first.
Ceramics are not ideal for a floor, so your prep must be exact, or you could experience cracked floor tiles.

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Thats saved me cocking it up. And i didnt know that about ceramics either. The pattern the mrs wanted was the winchester patchwork style from wickes, i could try and source them in porcelain to be on the safe side. Will see

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Im getting my order list together for sll the silly bits. Marmox washers/hammerfix, ardex wpc, sealants etc.

Do i need sbr primer on hardi with adrex wpc to tank floor?

I was going to order marmox multibond sealer, for general purpose. Is it decent stuff?

Shower tray and enclosure and all my big stuff has come already.

Reaction score
looking to pick up the tile adhesive friday, i dont want rapid setting as id like time on it, most seem to be rapid setting but found some readily available mape adesilex p9 express addy, it says its good for on "solid" plywood bases so is this useable for ontop of my floorboards once secured good, for the hardi to go on top?

The other thing is can this be used as a grab/dot/dab adhesive for the jackoboards onto the brickwork before mech fixing?

i am using 9.5mm porcelain tiles for 98% of it, some ceramic on the wall for decorative strips.

Reaction score
More questions!

So iv stripped back most of the room so far. Still plenty of plaster to take off.

Theres questionable areas that are solid to remove around the window. Its render i think and proably harder than the brick!

Its uneven so dot n dab with tile adhesive, question is should it be primed prior to dabbing. Its a bit more dusty than i would like. Would sbr+ be the right thing to do?

Reply to What to wall and floor board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen