Search the forum,

Discuss What is it with builders!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

I did a job for a local builder a few months ago it was 30sqm of uncalibrated slate and i charged him £1100 inc adhesive, grout, sealer etc and he told me that it was to much money as we hadn't agreed a price, anyway he paid me but he said the customer was a bit shocked at the price.....Anyway i bumped into the customer today and she needs another floor tiled and asked if i could do it for her. I said i would have to speak to the builder....she then said they threw him of the job because his extra work he hadn't quoted for was too expensive including the previous floor i did. The trouble with builders they are bloody greedy and try to make tooooo much money on sub contractors, so now im staying clear of builders ive had enough of them :thumbsdown:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Should have asked what the builder had charged on top of your price, which sounds very reasonable to cheap ish anyway, greed is a terrible thing, seen it a few times over the years, companies think they're on to a sure thing and start hiking up the prices, sooner or later they get their comeuppance and wonder why.

E

enduro

And the moral of the story is - agree a price first ! :thumbsup:

Timeless John.
Normally i do, but this builder I've done loads for and we never agree a price as i normally get messed around a bit with other trades etc. And i think with the recession he trying to screw all the sub contractors on price, and i bet he is still charging full whack....I don't care what he makes on top of my price, as long as i get what i need a day to run my buisness.

D

Daz

You seem to have a nightmare with builders don't you. Is this a different builder from the one you had issues with back in November?

I think you're right to steer clear, I very rarely work for builders, and then only on a pre-agreed price.

Reply to What is it with builders!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen