Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Westfield shopping centre london in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Leatherface

Hi as I have not been on Forum for a while I was surprised when I checked and had not seen any posts about working on Westfield Centre at White City London.
Was there pre- Christmas fitting out a few shops.
It was bedlam. There were around 5000 blokes working there at any one time.
We arrived on a Monday morning and did not get our tiles or adhesive till Wed morning. We were not allowed to take tiles or materials to individual shops & had to rely upon unskilled ( non English speaking ) foreign labourers to deliver them in their own time. Much of the tiling was at height ( but since we were not allowed to work from ladders, as according to current regulations ) we had to wait another day for someone with a ticket to move and re-build a scaff platform, then another half day for health and safety to approve it.
Lunch breaks took about an hour and a half to walk to canteen and queue to get served. Every time you went for a pee you got lost.
Hell on earth !!!!!
Was anyone else there ?

W

White Room

Buy the sounds of it I'm glad I was'nt, Worked on that kind of site and hated it

L

Leatherface

The crack was good, digs, meal and all beer paid for every night.
Got stuffed for congestion charge though. went through an area that I did not realise was applicable, had to pay a £60 fine !:rant:

P

Perry

Yes mate i was there and i am taking her indoors shopping in the morning to Westfield lol nice to c u back leather lol:pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I did a couple of weeks there. I live 20mins away. Nice tube journey to work every morning (I even got a seat!). It was a 20minute walk to the canteen so I ate my sandwiches whilst hiding in a corner at Fire & Stone (a posh pizza restaurant). I worked with Marble (600x600), porcelain & ceramics. It was bedlam there. Hard hats everywhere. I got onsite at 07:20, and did what I could do whilst working around chippies,sparks,plumbers,fitters etc etc. It was 15mins for lunch and out by about 18:00 with a couple of longer days. It was great to see the place grow from a building site to a shopping centre. Most people worked really hard. I had to use those toilets near the canteen once.....those toilet seats never got cold!! However, they were luxury compared to the portable ones Urghh.....I can still smell them in my nostrils. On the last day the restaurant owners treated us to a full cooked breakfast - nice. I enjoyed myself, can't wait for another one to be built!

S

Spud

couple of my mates worked there and were working for a tiling company from london and they still haven't had their money yet

bansko

TF
Reaction score
Worked on the westfield site for 10 months and yes it was some experience, when in full swing there were over 11,000 construction workers and word has it 80% were foreign labour.We were staying in sheperds bush 10 minutes walk away so had no problems commuting, parking was a nightmare, toilets I dont want to go there, but you guys were right, getting materials on site was something else, we had many drivers look at the queue on the ramp and leave. Westfield even discovered 2 brothels in the underground car parks, they were wondering why there were queues forming. Overall it was a good job n a good earner and as far as I know there,s a bigger one being built near stratford or that area. I left the day before it opened as everyone had to stop work for the opening ceremony, it amazed me that it opened on time as it was a bombsite with less than 2 weeks to go. But it did and it,s impressive.

A

advancetiling

just had same thing happen with congestion charge.been working on the strand,knew it was in the zone but thought u got a bill thru the post until i got home with a £60 fine on the mat.legalised robbery

P

Perry

Alan p working in the Strand at the moment he has just finished one at westfields in Stratford lol

A

advancetiling

just done a brick slip job at stratford westfield,think that was a pizza express as well. dont like scissor lifts though especially at 30 ft up in a gale

Reply to Westfield shopping centre london in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks