Search the forum,

Discuss Wedi vs Hardie for shower tanking in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

117ws

TF
Bucks
hi all,

After abit if advice re boards for shower and tanking....

My 1200x800 shower has two existing walls within it, one of plasterboard stud wall and the other plastered masonry.

I was thinking of removing the plasterboard within the shower area and replacing with either wedi or Hardie, and the masonry wall either overboarding if plaster is sound or if not removing plaster and boarding the masonry with 12mm wedi / Hardie.

First question would be what’s everyone preference for boards? Wedi or Hardie or something else I should be looking at? (That’s easily available)

Or as I’m tanking it should I bother to replace the plasterboard at all? (I’m thinking of belt and braces)

Second question would be which tanking kit to use?

I’m a plasterer so not devoid of skill but not as experienced with this lot as you chaos!

Thanks

W

Waluigi

It’s your judgement. I’d look at how well bonded the skim is. Personally it would be absoluetely fine with tanked PB. Considering a DIYer came on to this website recently and suggested that a relative had tiled their shower onto skimmed plasterboard, no tanking and used ready mixed and the majority of people said it would be fine. I’d suggest that tanked plasterboard would be a lot better than Fine, it would be perfect.

O

One Day

Oh come on guys! Let it go...
tenor.gif

W

WetSaw

The argument is that the OP on this thread is asking for advice before commencing. In the other thread you are referring to the vast majority of the work had been completed, apparently to a satisfactory standard. Clearly stripping it out wouldn't have achieved too much. If they had asked before starting they would have received the same advice offered in this thread.
I'm sure you've joined some pipes in your time that in an ideal world you'd have done differently but you don't always have a choice.

Reply to Wedi vs Hardie for shower tanking in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays