Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss wall preperation in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

David Rowell

So today i went to have a look at another splash back job, the walls are bowing in like a banana.

Would you build it out and trowel flat or would you prime it and then build the adhesive up on each tile or if different
please share your method

And also do yous tile walls plumb? Or tile the way the wall is going as long as its flat?

TIA :smilewinkgrin:

O

Old Mod

Hey David,
thats almost a "how long is a price of string" question! Every job would have to be taken on its own merit. Your a joiner, sure your trade is no different. I've used all of the above methods before plus more! If it's an enclosed space I've over boarded with 6mm Hardie. If not I've skimmed walls flat with adhesive before leaving for the day and packed them out as I go. It's all about aesthetics! If you're a shuttering chippy you won't get it, but if you're a second fix joiner then u will! Take a route you're comfortable with. That'd be my advice.
Generally FLAT works fine...... Unless it doesn't! You already know the score! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Of course he could be a Carpenter and then he'd tile it flat like a real Tiler!:smilewinkgrin:

O

Old Mod

Is that the same 'flat' that spreads give us? :smilewinkgrin:
Wheres Whitebeam, is he online? :sofahide:

T

Time's Ran Out

Marc - I have the utmost respect for all plasterers as they try their hardest to provide us Tilers with the best possible substrate to ply our trade.:smilewinkgrin:

O

Old Mod

John- I totally agree and could have bit my tounge off (well thumbs anyway ) when I said it! I'm also aware
that they welcome constructive criticism!
Hence my enquiry about Mark!

T

Time's Ran Out

Not Mark - he'll just ban you - never come across a plasterer like him before! When they came up with the phrase 'tried and tested' they thought of Whitbeam.

D

David Rowell

Hey David,
thats almost a "how long is a price of string" question! Every job would have to be taken on its own merit. Your a joiner, sure your trade is no different. I've used all of the above methods before plus more! If it's an enclosed space I've over larded with 6mm Hardie. If not I've skimmed walls flat with adhesive before leaving for the day and packed them out as I go. It's all about aesthetics! If you're a shuttering chippy you won't get it, but if you're a second fix joiner then u will! Take a route you're comfortable with. That'd be my advice.
Generally FLAT works fine...... Unless it doesn't! You already know the score! :thumbsup:

Second fix 3fall couldnt stand doing shuttering all day long I dont think id get any job satisfaction like. Cheers for the pointers :smilewinkgrin:

W

White Room

What:yikes:
603.jpg

Reply to wall preperation in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks