Discuss Vinyl glue residue in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I have a small 2br on slab 1950’s originally had 9” vinyl tiles and dark brown/ black adhesive. After the tiles were removed the abaters softened/dissolved the glue and mopped and wiped up what they could. I scrub brushed and mopped to clear. The slab is discolored and retains imprints in the original tile layout. Clearly there remains some residue. I’m planning on 12x24 porcelain with large format thin set med body. I’m concerned of course for the adhesion. Should I put a sealer on next.

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
get rid of the glue, grind it off with a diamond cup grinder.
good luck!

Attachments

• Diamond cup grinder.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi there if it’s bitumen your best bet is either Keragrip primer or a cement slurry so that your tile adhesive has a key to stick too. Keragrip is an excellent primer when used neat can seal over pretty much anything ready for tiling or self level it’s expensive but worth it for peace of mind.

Reaction score
Like the guy said above you can grind it all off but if you don’t have the equipment a high performance primer will be your best option.

Reaction score
Hi there if it’s bitumen your best bet is either Keragrip primer or a cement slurry so that your tile adhesive has a key to stick too. Keragrip is an excellent primer when used neat can seal over pretty much anything ready for tiling or self level it’s expensive but worth it for peace of mind.
Thanks I don’t know what is, all I know is it’s old … like me. Appreciate the response. Fortunately I am not hurried. Trying to get all the ideas I can get.

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Are you any further to success??

Reply to Vinyl glue residue in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks