Search the forum,

Discuss Variable Speed Grinder in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com.

C

Concrete guy

Gary probably has a 9565cvl which Makita no longer make, which is a shame as it was a very good machine and generally bomb proof.

It's been replaced with the SA5040 which is no where near as good.

If you want a polisher go for a Flex L1503 (1200-3700 rpm) <----dedicated polisher.

If you want a variable speed grinder then the Flex L1506 (2200rpm-6800rpm) <----a slower grinder than can do a bit of polishing

When buying a variable speed machine (whatever manufacturer) choose something that's going to be used closer to the higher end of it's speed range. You'll find it has a longer life span and won't overheat when used for extended period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Can't seem to find the "Smug" emoji..
haha4.gif

C

Concrete guy

Most of the non-variable speed grinders I've looked at have an RPM of 10000 upwards. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to cutting at 6800?

You need a slower speed range when cutting shaped or curve, particularly with dished blades. It reduces grabbing and kickback.

Also you'd run profiling tools at around 4000rpm, the reduced speed gives more control and allows the head of the tools to remain in contact with the work piece for longer. A profiler run on a normal grinder at 10,000 or 12,000 rpm kicks and bounces and is just difficult to control.

So if you want to sum it up in a single word - control.

Most variable speed grinders we sell are going to landscapers for profiling and shaping. The majority of polishers we sell go to stone masons. There is plenty of cross over though.

We also have heavy duty machines for companies that may be producing pool copings or similar, the FLEX LW802VR fits this category.

Reply to Variable Speed Grinder in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am about to waterproof an existing shower after taking out all of the old tiles and old mud waterproofing. From what I see there is an existing drainage. The idea is to clean everything...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Better apolgise for not being an active member for a couple of years. As per title, looking for recommendations please. Tired of so much chinese tat and should ask on here. I need a few as I have...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

You're browsing the Tiling Tools category on TilersForums.com. Find the correct trowels to use with which type of tiling. Find advice on lash clips and levelling systems and more.