Search the forum,

Discuss Use two size trowels to build up/flatten? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I have a valley in the cement and am not willing to use self-levelling. Only maybe around 1/4" off and it's really only one strip of the floor. Seems like using a 1/4 X 3/8 for everywhere but a 1/2 X 1/2 for that line of tiles wouldn't be a bad idea to even things out. Is that a typical practice or do tilers just build up with extra back buttering?

Thanks!

Reaction score
How wide is this strip and what size tiles are you using ?

Reaction score
Switching to a 1/2 x 1/2 trowel won't make up the difference on its own. If you're dead set against using slc you might try mixing up some adhesive and using a straight edge to fill in the low section with it. I think you'll find it easier to make the floor level with adhesive first and then tile as normal once you've made it flat. Back butter the tiles anyway regardless.

Reaction score
Why are you no willing to self level ? Pour it in and drag a straight edge over to fill the void, then your good to go. It's much more difficult to try and correct a bad surface with the tile adhesive.

From my understanding you need at least an inch of self level compound to work well that raises floor too much would have to deal with door and two transitions to wood.

Reaction score
An inch is a lot. You can literally put a 3mm skim of self levelling down to even out a floor if needed. There is a useful YouTube channel called Mryoucandoityourself where he demonstrates various techniques.

Reaction score
Thanks again. I'm considering it I just don't want to buy extra hardware (screed, level edge) and because there are already cabinets and an island I'd need multiple sizes etc.

Tell me this though... there is still some asphaltic adhesive (think that's what it's called...cutback?) it's been scraped right down and I'm not willing to go further than that. Any point in a primer on top of that? The thinset I have is fortified.

Thx

Reaction score
Is it tile adhesive on the floor currently or was there a different type of floor covering down?

Reaction score
There was vinyl roll and before that asbestos tiles. Scraped down to a paper back then below that black adhesive. Scraped down with blades as much as possible.

Reply to Use two size trowels to build up/flatten? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen