Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss upstairs bathroom first attempt in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

David Jatt

Hi

First time tiler here, absolute novice but keen to learn. I'm (considering) tiling the upstairs bathroom in an old victorian terrace but there are a few hurdles.

The previous tiles were an absolute nightmare to remove (not sure what they were but couldn't separate them from the plywood and kept shattering into fine dust). It seemed odd to me that the sink basin and toilet were fitted on top of the plywood yet the tiles were clearly laid afterwards i.e cut around. I haven't removed the sink and toilet rather just removed the plywood as far as I can near to the basins (i.e the toilet and basin still rest on top of plywood, but the rest of the floor is stripped back to the floorboards (pic enclosed).

So, what is the next step? Thinking of laying 30x30cm ceramic tiles. Should I lay down new plywood and then a backer board on top of that, or just a backer board straight onto the boards? Is it foolish not removing the toilet/basin/radiator to get rid of all old plywood and to tile underneath?

Other issues are that in the pic there is a stain in the floorboards near the radiator - theres no leak as far as i can see and it isnt wet to touch but i need to check this out with a plumber. Also, some of the plaster around the skirting has come loose in taking the tiles off (they were grouted onto the wall so this was unavoidable). Is that something a lick of paint would cover up adequately, or is it a job for a pro?

I don't mind getting a pro in, just thought it was a small enough area to cope with.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Many thanks
bathroom.JPG

bathroom 2.JPG

G

GoneGuy

If possible I would remove the toilet, sink, radiator and skirting and remove all old ply board.
Make sure all floorboards are secure and not loose, then I would use 6mm no more ply glued and screwed then it will be ready for Tiling.
Then once you finished I would put everything back on top ( you won't have any awkward cuts ) and then I would renew with plastic skirting as you won't have to paint

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above remove all sanitary ware, rad etc. To be honest given the condition of the existing flooring l would take up and replace with 25mm marine ply, shouldn't be to difficult to remove existing boards as they all look like they have been up at some time in the past.

F

Flintstone

No need to lift that floor at all, I would overboard with 6mm nmp or Hardie as said above. Deffinately remove toilet and sink.

Reply to upstairs bathroom first attempt in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks