Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor heating on top of Lino?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chrisablitt

I'm putting down a porcelain floor and was going to install a 200W underfloor heating mat system. I wasn't planning on using the insulation layer for cost reasons. The current floor is Lino which I was going to take up first but thinking about it this may make a good insulation layer.

Does anyone know if the Lino will stand up to having 200W heating mats installed on top of it and does anyone have experience of this, if so does the lino work as an insulator?

Any advice welcome. Thanks, Chris

D

diamondtiling

Hi and welcome.

Tiling on lino is a no no, It has bounce in it which will cause you all sorts of problems, Are the tiles going onto a concrete floor? if so you really should insulate otherwise you will have longer warm up times and bigger running costs.
Look at uheat, one of the forum sponsors and see how much you can get the boards for.

take that lino up.

:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

I would put insulation down, if your budget won't stretch to have insulation then you might not want to fork out for the rise in heating bills when used without insulation.

If you have seen figures about low running costs, this is taken from floors with peak insulation properties.

Sadly It's a false economy not to insulate

Good luck

T

Tomtiler

definetly a nono might cost a bit extra to rip it up put down some boards might think itll be alot more money but in the long run will be more cost effective with the rise in your bills :thumbsup:

D

dock

Given that Linseed oil is used in the process of manufacturing Lino its probably not a good idea!! It would soften considerably

C

chrisablitt

Thanks all for the helpful feedback. It looks as though from your comments that insulation boards is the best way forward anyway and now I've looked in to cost they are not expensive at all.

Out of interest I think that the floor isn't actually Lino, it's that industrial stuff that you get in hospitals and commercial kitchens (the stuff with flecks in and the rubber sealed skirting). It doesn't feel springy at all. So for interest do you think that you could fit underfloor heating and tile on top of this stuff?

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to Underfloor heating on top of Lino?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen