Search the forum,

Discuss Uncoupling membranes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lux stone

When fitting natural stone tiles when and where should these be used? How do you decide?

D

DHTiling

It really depends on the size of the job............small 4 or 5 mtr kitchen floors then probably no..but bigger floors then Ditra will relieve some of the stress from being transferred to the stone thus causing cracks.....some stones are quiet soft so Ditra can help with stress issues..........caused by the substrate moving (expanding ) at a different rate to the tiled surface...

W

wetdec

I would say it depends on what floor you are laying on. If its a relatively new or heated concrete floor then Ditra mat Durabase CI floor membrane would be an advantage so the lateral tensions dont transfer to the surface preventing cracking. On a prepared wooden floor they would resolve cracking resulting from deflection

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

kerdi is a crack bridging membrane not an uncoupling membrane....as for durabase products never used them........

L

lux stone

Used Ditra on a recent Travertine 450mm x 450mm job with heated pipework in screed. There was a hairline fracture where the pipe work was. Worked a treat. Customer was pleased I recommended this as two other tilers who quoted said not to worry it'll be alright!

W

wetdec

kerdi is a crack bridging membrane not an uncoupling membrane....as for durabase products never used them........

My aploogies Dave head was pointing north. I have corrected my post accordingly 00ps ;)

P

Pawelzik

When fitting natural stone tiles when and where should these be used? How do you decide?

E.g.:
- on a ship, the uncoupling/decoupling matting prevents the stone from the ship´s machine vibrations and from the possible metal shrinking process if the ship runs from a north & cold climate to a south & warm climate.
- inside a lift on the lift´s metal floor
- on wooden grounds
- on screed which is still hard but has some small fraction lines
and others. I think it is a matter of the site conditions, Martin

Reply to Uncoupling membranes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi any info on get rid of epoxy grout haze on natural stone would be much appreciated. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
I applied Lithotin stainstop to my newly installed sandstone tiles. Shortly after i had an issue...
Replies
Views
How would you go about tiling a floor and or wall that's massively out of plumb ? When things...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in our renovated kitchen tomorrow. Tiles are 450x450x10...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen