Search the forum,

Discuss Transit Nightmare in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

AMtek

Having an absolute mare with my van. Driving home and gearbox is stuck in 4th so i limped back and parked up. Did a bit of digging round google and it seems that it might not be too much of a job to fix so i go back out and try to open the bonet but the bonnet release won't work (key through the grill into a lock, turn one way turn the other and should release). tried WD40, a good bit of force behind it, tried spare key but it just won't budge! so anyone got any ideas now? could drill the lock and just cable tie the bonnet back down but i have no idea how to drill the lock?

C

charlie1

The gear selector on the top of the gear box will have seized, spray with some lithium grease and get some movement back in to it

W

White Room

That happened twice shortly after buying the Transit, first time could only use the 1st and 2nd gears, second time could only use 3rd and 4th gear....took it back to the dealer but was'nt anything major and was sorted just a pain in the butt though.

D

dave l and l

i had problem with transit lock on 04 plate
ended up drilling lock out. took a bit of time bit it got me in to engine. seems common. i ended up using a screw driver to release the bonnet.
just be careful when boring lock out try to do a bit at a time.the best thing to do is get a look at someone elses lock then go from there

D

dave l and l

use a metal bit through the centre where you put the key in and do it bit by bit. best thing to do is get a look at someone with same van
once the key lock is out the metal latch has to be moved to release the bonnet i moved this using a screwdriver, hope this helps

A

AMtek

What size bit do i need and how deep do i have to drill? thats what i heard charlie, would probably be sorted by now if i could get the bonet open! :incazzato:

C

charlie1

Once you get in to the bonnet, have a look at the gear selector on the right hand side of block, there are 2 cables going in, these will need disconnected (they clip back in easily) you can attempt to take the whole thing off (6 bolts) but may not be necessary. Simply spray the whole mechanism with lithium grease and gently try and get some movement back in to it, happened regularly on my 52 plate!

T

trevortine

Once you get bonnet open its easier to remove turret from top of box an free off seized selector. Gear oil is best to lube with and do it on a regular basis. Guessing te bonnet ain't been open in a while, you really should check your oil and water more often mate!

A

AMtek

gear box was fine then all of a sudden it was stuck in 4th, does this sound like seized selectors?

Reply to Transit Nightmare in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen