Search the forum,

Discuss To prime or not to prime, that is the question. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

If in doubt prime it has always been my way but how many would prime Moisture Resistant plasterboards ?
Now cost of primer isnt an issue but if you weigh up the time it takes to prime and drying time then that is the cost I dont like.
So how many prime plasterboards, MR or normal ?

S

Steve H

This is an interesting thread. I'm new to tiling and trying to find the best and most practical tiling methods. I know that there is something in cement based adhesive that doesn't like plaster, so therefore I do prime. But I guess that if the plasterboard is intact and nicely wrapped, even more so if it is moisture resistant; then Primer it would appear, is not necessarily needed. Thanks for this thread and the experienced opinions coming out.

S

Stewart

Depends on condition (if really dusty) or if it has been ames taped. But 9 times out of ten, I prime.

D

doug boardley

I mainly prime, but not MR boards unless there's bare edges ie external corners, then I'll prime those bits.

T

TT Tiling

i do prime on nom plasterboard but not on moistureboard , but if useing powder add i would ,

G

grumpygrouter

I tend to prime plasterboard as sometimes the screws expose the gypsum core or the paper surface can be torn slightly and I always use bagged addy.

Reply to To prime or not to prime, that is the question. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen