Search the forum,

Discuss Tling over suspended wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Minton

Hi all,

I recently knocked through our kitchen dining room. The floor is a suspended wooden ground floor (flat edge floor boards) in a 1930's bungalow.

I'm looking to lay 600 x 600 porcelain tiles, but I want to add as little as possible height to the floor as possible.

The floor seems very sturdy, with very little or no flex. I placed a brimmed glass of water on different parts of the floor and we walked and hopped around. There was minimal disturbance to the water (certainly no spillage)

With this in mind, do you think I could get away with just laying 6mm hardy backer boards (or similar) and then tiling on top.?

One other thing, there is a small height difference between the two rooms, the floor in the dining area is approx 3mm lower. Would the adhesive sort that kind of difference in levels.?

Thanks,

Matt (tiling newbie!)

M

Mike

if you're confident the floor is solid enough then you could just lay the 6mm hardi/cement boards with a spf adhesive and screwed every 150mm. i would also put extra screws in the floorboards first. you could put slc on the lower floor. (one suitable for timber floors)

M

Minton

Thanks Mike. Should I also seal the floor boards with something before laying the backing board.?

M

Mike

You'd best prime it with a suitable primer for wood, not pva and make sure its tacky or dry before laying the boards. I lay all the boards dry then lift and re lay one by one leaving a 3mm gap between boards and last I fill the joints with the adhesive and scrim tape them. Also stagger the boards like bricks

tapatalk on my HTC

M

Minton

What sort of grout gap (and grout, for that matter) would be best for 600 x 600 porcelain floor tiles, also which primer and Adhesive.?

I see Mapei are highly regarded but don't know where to start TBH...

By the way, the only thing I have purchased so far are the tiles, nothing else.

M

Minton

Only my splashbacks in my last kitchen, nothing complicated (hence all the questions!)

M

Minton

Cost is the killer though - I don't WANT to do it myself, but have little choice. How much would a 25sq/m area cost in the south of England.?

I do like a challenge too ;)

Reply to Tling over suspended wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen