Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling uneven wooden floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

choco

Hi all, a plumber here. My wall tiling isn't bad as I take a lot of care over it, but I haven't done that much floor tiling.

I've got a bathroom (1.7m x 1.9m) and a small cloakroom to do. It's an old house and the existing floor boards are all over the shop. Very uneven with gaps and corners missing, etc.

I am thinking of screwing down the boards as tight as possible, then putting down a sheet of ply (not sure what thickness, though?) and then using one of those floor leveling cement jobby things on top of that.

Am I going far wrong with that? Some recommendations on which adhesive and grout would be appreciated. Cheers.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If the floors were that bad personally I'd prefer to take the boards up and replace with 18mm WBP ply over boarded with hardi backer

C

choco

I will take that advice, thanks.

I notice that some suppliers offer a hardwood or softwood WBP option. Which one should I go for? And any recommendations on the glue to stick the Hardibacker down with?

S

swanman

Yes you could try screwing down all the exsisting floor boards then over laying them with 6mm ply screwed at 300 centres

Then use 6mm hardi board put that down with flexi adhesive then screw and tape all the joints leave a gap of about 3 mm

hope this was helpful

P

Perry

Yes you could try screwing down all the exsisting floor boards then over laying them with 6mm ply screwed at 300 centres

Then use 6mm hardi board put that down with flexi adhesive then screw and tape all the joints leave a gap of about 3 mm

hope this was helpful
He he is it because he is a plumber

C

choco

As an update, I've cleaned all the rubbish out of the bathroom this morning and the floor is in a lot better nick than I'd remembered it. The loose and uneven stuff is on the side which will be under the bath. The standing/walking areas are actually very well fastened with tongued and grooved boards.

Taking into account the info offered so far, I'm considering glueing the hardie board stright onto the boards.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Am going to be testing a new product soon that will help make floors with dodgy floorboards alot easier to sort whilst keeping height rise to a minimum. Not allowed to mention the product yet but will put up a review once I get the okay.

Reply to Tiling uneven wooden floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen